(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Move intake valve for Toto Carlyle- how hard?

Default Move intake valve for Toto Carlyle- how hard?

I ordered a Toto Carlyle and it appears that our intake valve is about 3/4 to 1 inch to far to the center. I guess the valve will need to be relocated and I will have to call a plumber to do it- any idea how long this job should take a plumber? Seems that if I don't have some idea of the difficulty of the job I end up paying alot more $$ than if I am somewhat informed.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

It depends on how exact your rough-in is...the toilet doesn't actually run all the way back to the wall, there is a gap there. I think they make an angle stop that may allow you to shut it off without doing anything else. Measure from the bolts holding your current toilet in (or where they'd go if there isn't any) to the wall, then search out the specification sheet on the toilet to see where it will fall. It does make it easier if it is out where specified, but you may have enough room with what you have without doing anything. It might be hard to turn the handle because you have only a little clearance...
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

Not sure is Dahl is available in your area, but they make a "Skirted" toilet valve.

Default valve

We cannot tell you what is involved in moving the valve, but if you "pay more than you should" it will be because you hired the wrong plumber, not because you did not know what he was going to do.

Also, since the back of that toilet is not vertical, it curves, it depends on the height of the supply, if you are lucky, you won't have to move it.

If the pipe is anchored to a stud, the plumer would have to tear out more drywall and drill. If it is anchored to a cross brace (if it is anchored at all!), it might be a 15-minute job....you won't know until you open the wall if you find out it will or will not fit as is. the suggested placement gives you clearance to easily get your hand around the knob on the shutoff...so, as close as you indicate, there may be enough as is.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

With the Carlyle, the shutoff needs to be located at least 7", center to center.
    If it's less than 7", it can be moved. With copper pipe, the shutoff can be removed, and a small section of 1/2" copper can be soldered on with a sweat 90 el.

TOTO MS874114SG Carlyle
    Last edited by Terry; 03-21-2009 at 12:34 PM.

If you haven't looked at the spec sheet, here it is. Compare exactly where your supply is now to the dimensions listed. Your's may fit. http://totousa.com/admin/upload/pdfs...114sg-1202.pdf
    Jim DeBruycker

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

I sell quite a few of these and no need to relocate pipe.
    http://www.dahlvalve.com/products/toto_toilet_kit.aspx
    Last edited by Terry; 06-08-2007 at 08:53 PM.