Water heater power vent noise muffler

Users who are viewing this thread

pavman

Reaction score
Is there such a thing. I have a neighbor that is complaining about water heater blower noise that is keeping them up at night? Any ideas other than moving the vent to fix this problem?

Sverre

Reaction score
I need the help, too!

I have the same problem. It's not an issue until summer, when we have our windows open, but it's loud enough to wake us up. What can we do?

Sverre

Reaction score
I know, I know

This is a silly problem, and really not much of a "problem." It is easily, though, the loudest vent I have ever heard. They put mufflers on these things on the inside of the house to cut down on noise, so I thought there might be something that would work on the outside of the house, too. Do you know of any reason not to rig up some sort of muffler on the outside?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They normaly don't make a lot of noise. Your heater must be right on the other side of the wall. If it is an old heater the fan motor may be bad and causing a lot of noise. You could place a sound absorbing screen a few feet away from it between it and the neighbors. Not sure how much that will help but it may. If it is only bothering them at night you could turn it off at night and back on in the AM but what a pain. I don't know of any mufflers used on PV heaters inside or outside the home.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
loud power vnets

I had a Smith power vent that was pretty loud
a few years ago......Smiths are the worst.

I was sort of ashamed how loud it really was
outside, and feared complaints from the neighbors.
the power vent actually echowed between the two house
and sort of bellowed out into the back yard where others
behind this fellow could hear it......

I dsecided to cure the problem before I ever got a complaint from anyone.....

I took and turned down the pipe comming out of the house
with a 2 inch elbow and took it down to about a foot from the grass...

the ground seemed to absorb about 75% the noise
and I never had to take it to the next level......

I had considered pointing that vent pipe downwards
towards a metal bucket sitting on the ground but never had to go that far....

And Another option I had batted around with the
customer was digging out a 10 inch deep hole directly
under the exaust pipe and letting the fumes , condensation and sound
blast downwards into mother earth..

I hate SMITH heaters......

Last edited:

pavman

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I may put a T on it to deflect the sound to the left and right respectively. I am hoping this will dissipate the sound in either direction and point it a direction other than their bedroom window.

Sverre

Reaction score
Moderate Solution

I followed Mark's plan and had the same idea to use a T, which I did. I also aimed the openings of the T at two big rocks. The sound is deflected and more muffled, but still there. Better, yes. Total solution, not quite. It just seems crazy that they should be this load or that there is not some sort of ready-made muffler that could be used.

Alleycat

Reaction score
we have the same problem, on a new house - the vent's right under the bedroom window and keeps us awake summer and winter. We are waiting for a quote to build a new flue in the garage so we don't have to listen to the power vent anymore (and so it doesn't continue to destroy my AC condenser - see my previous post)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks