how can I get snake past this T?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zimmee66

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have a *vintage* kitchen drain thats clogged. I know exactly where the clog is and I also know that the main riser needs replacing, but I cant quite afford that now so I want to try snaking it.

the problem is I can't get at the clog through the p-trap because it is a few inches below the T in the riser. I'm surprised to find that it just an ordinary T rather than a san Tee or wye but oh well.

Any tips or tricks? I'm willing to try chemicals too. What I'm finding as a clog is thick black grease, a combo of rotting cast iron and soap and such. But I'm afraid to go with anything too aggressive for fear of eating through the CI.

thanks for any advice!

-jim

Attachments

• DRAINPAIN.jpg
    DRAINPAIN.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,029
Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Cut the line out where ever you have to to snake it and replace everything with PVC.

Zimmee66

Reaction score
markts30 said:
run the snake down the vent from the roof...
I thought of that, but unfortunately thats not a good option. Coming down from the roof the vent immediately hits an ELL and then goes hroizontal about 3 feet before another ELL, and only then down into the riser and tee.

Worse, the horizontal run is behind a wall too. So unscrewing vent ells isnt an option without tearing out.

Since the vent is just 1-1/4 galvanized I doubt I could get much oomph behind the snake or work it that distance through so much pipe.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try one of those bladders that attach to your hose. If it doesn't work, you're only out $5.00.

Attachments

• Drain Cleaning Bladder.jpg
    Drain Cleaning Bladder.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 915

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
Try one of those bladders that attach to your hose. If it doesn't work, you're only out $5.00.

Don't use this if your drain is plugged and you can't get past the T and down into the drain with it B 4 inflating it, and I doubt you can.

If you use it in the trap arm the vent will fill with water, the drain wont open, and when you deflate the balloon you will have a rusty water flood on your hands that you will never forget.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Cut out above and below the T, snake the drain and replace what you cut out with 2 banded couplings and PVC fittings and pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stoppage

You do not snake "through" the trap, you remove the trap and snake into the pipe's opening. There is no reason a good snake would not make the turn at the tee. In fact that is a "cleanout" tee, and normally the sink tee would be above it.

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
if it were me... i would rent a pipe cutter and replace with pvc... pipe cutter is only 16 dollars a day at home depot. pvc and weld cement shouldn't be much for than another 25 dollars.

it seems like it wouldn't even be that expensive of a job for a licensed plumber.

i am just a diy homeowner, but this board provides enough information to give you the guidance and hopefully confidence to do the job.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I got a call last week. A homeowner used one of those things that verdeboy said. He could get a handsnake about 15 foot down his galvanised kitchen drain. So he got the dealie, and it blasted apart his p-trap and black goo waterfrom the drain flooded his kitchen. I replaced every bit of galvanised in the crawl space. The pipes were totally occluded. His hand snake would create a hole for a couple of minutes and then it would close back up. Like rodding jello. he spent 16 hours on a Sunday, and accomplished nothing but ruining his carpet. He was a vet and it was his birthday, so I gave him a 10 percent discount. I love Diyers.

Lee Polowczuk

Reaction score
hj said:
You are assuming the cutter will fit around the pipe in the wall. That is not always a good assumption.

then it would be an angle grinder, sawzall, or any other device... that existing stuff has to go.

it looks like the walls are plaster and lathe...you can see the plaster has been removed.. i think its workable

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Bladder

Everything has its place. I've used the thing successfully when it was difficult to snake through something and the clog was just a wad of hair or something minor like that. It beats pouring a bunch of nasty chemicals down your drain and then having to deal with them later when the clog still remains.

You just turn it on for a minute and have a few towels around in case it doesn't work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks