Parlez-vous Francais?

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
For some reason, when I click on spell-check in my Outlook Express, it uses a French dictionary. When I go to tools/options/spelling/language the only language listed is French. This just started a few days ago, so I can't spell-check any e-mails unless I write them in French.

The odd thing is, everything else is still in English. I tried downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer, but that didn't help.:confused:

R

Rancher

In Outlook (not express) the selection is under Tools, Options, Spelling, you then select which language to use.

Rancher

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
As I mentioned, the only language listed there is French.

Cookie

Reaction score
From what I learned, you will need to learn French to reset it. The menu? is it coming up in french? Can you read it and find where it says, English? It would look like this in french: Menu Anglais

You might need to be able to read some of it, to find where it says which language. Or try to recognize, the french spelling of english---anglais.

Tough call here.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Everything is in English. But the dictionary outlook express uses to spell-check is in French. So it is saying that every word is mis-spelled. It won't let me change the language back to English. I'll probably just uninstall the program and re-install it again.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
Everything is in English. But the dictionary outlook express uses to spell-check is in French. So it is saying that every word is mis-spelled. It won't let me change the language back to English. I'll probably just uninstall the program and re-install it again.

Are you using XP or 2000 for your OS

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I used to have similar problems with 2000 but now that I use XP they seem to have stopped.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
i remember switching back and forth, among languages for spell checking, back when I used MS products, like Word and O Express. It was easy as pie. But it was years ago. So, from memory, all I can encourage you to do is to go to the top line menus, and scroll across to somewhere around Options or Preferences, and see what comes down in terms of preferences, and explore them. It might not take more than a minute. The other language options are definitely in there; finding them is the challenge. You only have to go two levels deep. Once you know the path it'll be easy as pie, if you ever feel like spell checking another langauge.

david
p.s. your handle "verdeboy" may have confused the articial intelligence into giving you French as your primary. Call yourself "gruenderKnabe" and it may one day reinitialize in German.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
keyboard

I do not know anytime where my English keyboard would not spell French words, so I would be interested in what kind of keys a French keyboard has.

Cookie

Reaction score
It all depends. If you use french alot, it is worth learning the keyboard. If you don't, you don't even have a need for it.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You nailed it.

I recently did install a trial version of Office 2007 right around the time this occurred. I tried contacting Microsoft, but they charge $59.00 to answer any question. :eek:

I just installed the freeware OE spellchecker, and it added English to the dropdown menu. :)

Thanks and merci beaucoup!

Last edited:

Silk

Reaction score
hj said:
I'll stick to the character map rather than have to learn a new keyboard pattern.

I have to admit, I sometimes type in French but I just don't bother with the accents. If I was writing a business letter, etc. then I would but for just simple messages I figure it's not worth all the trouble of fishing for the accents in the character map... ;) After all, I think anyone who reads French can figure out what's being said anyways. :D

silk

Cookie

Reaction score
I guess I am allowed to say this because my grandmother was French. But, the french likes their language spoken and written well and will consider it rude otherwise. :)

Last edited:

Silk

Reaction score
Cookie said:
I guess I am allowed to say this because my grandmother was French. But, the french likes their language spoken and written well and will consider it rude otherwise. :)

Well so far no one has ever complained. They seem quite happy that I can even converse with them in French or that I make the effort and don't just expect them to talk to me in English. Plus if they had to wait for me to sit and look up an accent on the character map while we are chatting then the chat would grind to a halt. ;)

Are you in Canada Cookie? Because I'm talking about French-Canadians for the most part rather than the French from France.

silk

Silk

Reaction score
Ya French-Canadians are quite different than the French I'd say. In fact they don't really even like each other I hear. lol

silk

Last edited by a moderator:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
S'true. The French french get pretty uptight about proper grammar & such. How else do you explain l'Academie Francaise? But we French-Canadians will just appreciate the effort.

Besides, we don't speak 'standard' French, anyways.

In emails with & from my family, it's pretty much understood that your keyboard is going to be set english (unless you live in Quebec), and you might not switch is over to send off a quick note.

It's considered more polite if you do, though. No accents is slower/harder to read.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks