Want to move vent pipe, not much room

Users who are viewing this thread

dunks

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my master bathroom which was built back in 1989. The current setup has a dividing wall between the shower and the toilet. Running up through that wall is a 3" vent which connect with another 3" pipe up in the attic and eventually makes its way out through the roof. My wife and I were hoping we could remove this dividing wall so that we could install a three sided corner shower. I figured it would be no problem to just cut out the existing wye install another one facing the other wall and run the vent up that wall. My problem is that there is only about 6" from the center of the drain to the sheet rock on the far side of the wall.This doesn't leave enough room for a 3" 90 degree turn. I then thought maybe i could use a step down wye and use a two inch vent pipe. But after buying the pieces today I'm thinking I'm going to be slightly short on room to make that 90 degree turn and still have the existing drain lines line up straight. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this situation. Could I maybe use a series of either 45 or 90 degree bends to "bow" the vent connection out away from the wall or is that a terrible idea? This forum is my last hope otherwise I'm stuck with the wall. Any advice either way would be much appreciated.

This shows the dividing wall.
100_1754_small.JPG

This is a picture of the wye. The toilet drain line is coming from the right. The shower and the toilet both share the 3" vent.
100_1755_small.JPG

Attachments

• 100_1756_small.JPG
    100_1756_small.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,665

dunks

Reaction score
Ok so now I have a bunch more questions. First is if i replumb should I stick with a shared 3" vent (in a different location). Would 2" be big enough? Or should I have one vent for shower drain and another for toilet? I imagine the answer to those questions will be "depends on your codes" but just as a matter of opinion what might be best. There is alot of room in the wall cavity on the left (both in the wall and under the floor). The vent for our gas heater goes up through that wall to the roof. Would it be a bad idea to run the new vent up parallel to the heater vent? Can abs melt or catch fire if it would get too hot? Thanks for the help.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Where are you located? In florida a 2" vent would be fine but you'll need to be within 6' on the 2" for the shower trap, 9 or 10 feet for the 3" line.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For both ascetics and ease of use, it is best to have the shower drain in the middle of the shower. If you are going to go to the trouble (and you should) of tearing out and moving things, move the shower trap and drain to the middle of where you want it.

Assuming you are going to tile the thing, check out www.schluter.com and Kerdi. It will save you some time (but not money) and produce a better shower. Plus, you can build the walls with just drywall, which makes it much quicker, cleaner (ever cut cement board?), and easier to refinish the walls.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
A 2" vent would work, unless that is a code prescribed "full size" vent. Either way, it can be replumbed to make the vent go anywhere you want.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks