Installed a CSV, had a question or two..

Users who are viewing this thread

amartin725

Reaction score
I installed a CSV on my system and had a question or two. I have a driven point with a ¾ HP Sta-Rite jet pump with a 20 gallon Wellmate tank feeding my irrigation system (11 zones, 4 heads per zone). Pressure switch is set 40/60, tank now at 35 psi. The point is down about 16’ sitting just above ledge and it is mostly clay. The well output can vary from 2.5 to 4.5 GPM or more over the course of the season. Usually near the end of the season it struggles to get 2.5 GPM. I installed a CSV-50 and connected it according to instructions and it works as described. I had one zone on and manually turned on 3 more and it held at 50 psi the whole time. So far, I’m very happy with it – no more cycling!

Now for the questions. I have my irrigation system zones cut back to run 2.5GPM to work with the well – I’d be better off with a squirt gun. Now that I have the CSV, should I set them to what I feel the max output of my well is (4.5 GPM), or should I go higher on the zones and let the CSV keep it under control?

I left the pressure gauge on the pump and installed another one at the tank where the pressure switch is now tee’d from. The pump head gauge sits at around 68-70 psi the whole time the pump is running while the rest of the system sees 50 psi. Is this pressure ok at the head or is it over-stressing the pump?

Thanks,

Al

R

Rancher

amartin725 said:
should I set them to what I feel the max output of my well is (4.5 GPM), or should I go higher on the zones and let the CSV keep it under control?
The CSV will not make the well produce more water, if you set it higher on the zones, you will run the well dry and your pump will smoke.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
I wouldn't try to use more water than your well can get, or your pressure won't be what it is now. If you use all the water the well will produce, you won't have any extra water to make pressure with. You need a better well if possible.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have a well that only makes 1 GPM. However, the well stores about 100 gallons. This 100 gallons plus the 1 GPM the well makes, means that I can run a 4 GPM sprinkler for about 30 minutes. Then I have to wait an hour and a half before I can do it again. I can also do 10 GPM for about 10 minutes, then wait 100 minutes and do it again. The CSV allows me to use 10 GPM for 10 minutes, 4 GPM for 30 minutes, or 1 GPM indefinitely without the pump cycling.

If your well only makes 2.5 GPM, then that is all you can use long term. If your well will make 4.5 GPM for a certain time, then you just have to set the sprinklers for less than that amount of time, with long enough between zones for the well to recover.

amartin725

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've actually been working to set up a sistern (~1000 gallons) with a secondary pump that will handle the irrigation system and the well will be dedicated to just filling the tank. Given the varying output that I've been able to get from this well over the last 3 seasons, it's my best bet. For teh next few weeks though, I want to use the well as is to keep the grass somewhat green.

So, no real issue with the pump seeing 68psi while running?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks