confused about jet pump

Users who are viewing this thread

magicman

Reaction score
This is magic mans wife..he is on the road driving and I am not sure what to do. I had a Gould 1 hp jet pump..It worked on our house for the 9 yrs. we have lived here with no problems at all..then it wouldn't stop running..it got hot and burst the pvc pipe..so I replaced the piping..then it wouldn't shut off..I had another holding tank in another utility room with another pressure switch on it..I replaced the pressure switch on the pump..and still it took forever to prime and then the pump wouldn't shut off..so I took out the extra holding tank because we thought the switch was stuck on that and we didn't really need it anyhow..and we certainly didn't need two pressure switches..any how the pump still wouldn't shut off...put in new galvanized piping all throughout..new pressure switch..and the pump stopped working..burnt out..so I bought a new pump .. a 1 hp RC10 convertible deep well jet pump..it has a dual hook up but there is only one pipe coming from our well..hooked an ejector with venturi to it..hooked it all up..took a long time to prime..it finally caught..but came on and shut off frequently..then the pressure dropped rapidly and now the pump won't even come on..I know it didn't run dry..but now we have no water..help..I'm at a loss.

Last edited:
R

Rancher

Nobody wants to help this lady?

OK, you've listed a lot of possibilities and eliminated some.

Work backwards.

"Pressure dropped rapidly" Foot valve not holding or leak on output side of tank?

"but came on and shut off frequently" Water tank waterlogged.

You eliminated the pump... hopefully.

Pressure switch, replaced with an old one, perhaps it's not working?

PVC pipe burst, sounds like a bad pressure switch, but it's hard to imagine that a jet pump would achive enough pressure to do that.

Call your husband?

Rancher

magicman

Reaction score
thank you

thank you rancher..I don't understand why the pump won't come on at all now when I kick the breaker back on..I will have the tank checked..I have heard that several times..thank you

R

Rancher

If you're switching it on and off via the breaker, you can try this...

Switch the breaker off, wire the power directly to the pump, you can move the pumps wires to the power supply wires at the pressure switch. Then try the breaker, if no pump, check the pump for a reset button.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm with Rancher, you have posted a lot of things you have done, but none of them are addressing the real problem.

It would be in your best interest to call a pump repairman before you make things worse than they already are. Changing pumps, tanks, switches around are not ways of diagnosing the problem. Until you know what the problem is, you can't fix it.

bob...

magicman

Reaction score
found out what it is thank you

Ok..I thank you all very much for your help..I really appreciate it more than you know..I was completely confused on what to do..but I had someone come in and check the bladder tank and thats what the problem is..he said the bladder is shot..the tank was completely full of water so that it wouldn't build and hold pressure. I have one more question please..I can't find anywhere on the tank that tells how many gallons the tank is..I thought it was like a 36 gallon tank and the plumber said he thought 80..I don't believe its that big..how do I tell? And oh yes..there was a reset button on the pump and that is working fine...thank you

Speedbump

Reaction score
The part about it coming on and off rapidly is accurate when it comes to having a bad tank. But that can't be the only thing that is wrong. Plumbers aren't the one to call for a problem like you have. You might be better calling a pump man/well driller. That's what they deal with every day.

bob...

magicman

Reaction score
Pump/Well guy

I called in a Pump/Well guy and he checked everything out..I did put in the new bladder tank but there was also some slow leaks that were preventing it from holding pressure..thank you for your help..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks