New bathroom in Game room with no PLumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Start building

Reaction score
HI everyone,
:D
My first post here, Firstly Huge respect to pro plumbers. I've fully or partly remodeled about ten bathrooms and I do less and less of the actual plumbing each time! this helps reduce screaming.
I'm moving from CA to Austin TX where i can actually afford my own home. The House is 1968 ranch built on a slab. There was a game room added in the backyard with no plumbing but it has AC and power. We want to turn it into an in-law apt.
We can run the water through the attic (roofing connects the game room to the main house). I found rear flushing toilets so these and the sinks can drain and vent outside the walls like a brick house. My problem is with the shower. I really don't want to build a fake floor under the whole bathroom or just shower if i can avoid it.
I was thinking of building a custom pan that drained to one side (wall side) then out and into a p-trap, or could i run horizontal 18" or so from the center? seems weird to have a p trap outside.
It's the p-trap issue that's thrown me I had spaced about the need for one until being reminded while searching other threads.
I doubt there's any sewer lines under the game room so i guess i'll have to trench through and try to connect with the sewer for the main house, any advice or foreseeable problems?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
scupper drain goes outside

on ships, water drains off the deck through scuppers. Water flows through an opening on the side, and a little swinging door prevents water from splashing back in just as easily.

on roofs, scupper drains take water off at the side, often through a wall. E.g. http://www.bbsheetmetal.com/downspout-scuppers/index.html

There are plumbing scupper drains too, floor drain i believe. Shower drains and floor drains are the same thing, in terms of "code". E.g. at http://www.watts.com/pro/_products_sub.asp?catId=67&parCat=373 see rd-270 and rd-290. You would have to clean that horizontal pipe often. Until the P trap.

You can arrange for water to flow into plumbing (P trap) on the outside of the wall. I've never done it, so others can mention caveats and constraints that I won't be able to.

David

Last edited:

Start building

Reaction score
Thanks

thanks,
so i can use those to drain the shower to the side,
sweet

so questions about the next step, i'm going to have to connect to the sewer.
how much do i have to slope the pipe (1/4" every foot?) and how deep must it be buried? also from the game room there's no straight shot to the front of the property without going under the house.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

if you have to go under the house, because you cannot go around it, why not do the whole thing properly and cut the gameroom floor and install a conventional toilet and shower, instead of some Mickey Mouse looking thing with piping on the outside of the house.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I agree with HJ on that. The trouble you may have doing a nice install and the cost for uncommon fixtures may be more than it's worth. Cutting the concrete isn't really too big a project (although it can be messy) and the final outcome would look alot better.

Start building

Reaction score
Yeah thanks guys, sometimes a creative solution, is still a bad idea!

I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and go through the slab keeping the shower and toilet near outside walls so i don't have to do much tunneling. I don't know about getting through the slab - inside the walls - for the sink drains though, seems like a tight space to be working with, any thoughts?
:confused:

Mike

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Start building said:
I don't know about getting through the slab - inside the walls -

You don't. Remove the concrete up to the wall, then you just go under it to the outside.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks