(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new well water cloudy...clay?

pumping it directly from the well head will pump much more water than from anywhere else.

the coty chemical treatment would be a well rehab or development treatment not an every day water treatment system.
    rshackleford

Well I called the well drilling company this morning. My water was much more clear last night after running the hose all day, but this morning it was back to being cloudy again.
    The pump installer said I should run a sprinkler rather than a hose. He said that since the well was putting out around 18 gpm the sprinkler would let the water out at a slow enough interval that the water level would go up and down helping to get rid of the clay sediment. I must say though that the water just does not clear as well when using the sprinkler as it does when running the hose. What do you guys think? I just want clear water! He did say that the fact that it did clear a little is a good sign that it will clear completely, is that your experience?
    I took a sample to the health department today to see if there is any bacteria present.
    I read your posts about hooking the hose directly to the well, but I don't know how to do that. They installed a frost free hydrant right at the well itself and that is where I have been running the hose.
    I hope it clears soon! Thank you guys for all of your help and input!!!!

Do not run your water through a sprinkler it will not put out nearly as much water as the hydrant and if its an underground sprinkler system the sand will cause the solenoid valves to get stuck open. My advice to you is the same as before,keep running the water. If it doesn't clear up after a week or so,hopefully the well company has a down hole camera and they can pin point where the silt or sediment is coming in at.

SAM

Previous member

Run the hydrant without the hose. The hose is just another restriction. If the well pumps 18 per minute it will keep up and it should clear sooner that way. I don't know about washing down the walls ov the well by cycling the pump to death, that doesn't sound like a very good solution.

bob...

If this guy is telling you that the water fluctuating up and down will solve the issue,tell him to get over there, pump the well down,recirculate the water back into the well, and wash down the inside of the bore hole.

SAM

I would love to tell him to get over here and do it himself, but they charge $200 - $300 per hour for well development, and I can't afford that on top of paying for the whole well, pump install etc. The water is gradually becoming more clear. I have a hose hooked up right now and it was less cloudy this morning. I haven't heard from the lab yet, but I am hoping for good news with the potableness of the water. (is potableness a word? )

Default Update on clay

Well, we have found that the water turns clear (well, nearly clear) after pumping it out for a few hours. Then when it sits for a few hours it turns cloudy again. I am not sure if this means there is a source at the top of the well that is introducing clay etc. Or if the top is just still sloughing off from the drilling. We are going to give it a full 2 weeks from when the pump was set of pumping the water out before we look into any other possible solutions. Our Colliform test came back good, no colliforms present!
    Julie

What was the PH in your original water report?

SAM

The ph was 6.5-7
    the hardness was listed as 100 ppm
    iron >.02
    Manganese ND
    Nitrate ND

The PH was either 6.5 or 7,so what is it? Having a rock hole with low ph is an indication that you may have water above the rock coming into the well along with the silt and sediment.

SAM

the well log states "6.5-7" is that a low ph?

The recommended limits is between 6.5 and 8 so your water could potentially become corrosive if the ph drops any further. I was just curious of any tell tale signs that you might have indicating where the problem is coming from. Keep pumping!

SAM

Thank you I will.

Default update?

Any updates just outta curiousity?
    Ron van Velzen
    Saint Simons Island, GA

Default Update on clay

Hey, the water cleared up after a week and a half! Yeah!!!
    I was so relieved!!! Thanks again for all of your input and great advice!!!!!