(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: new well water cloudy...clay?

Hybrid View

Unhappy new well water cloudy...clay?

Hello, we just had a new well drilled last week and the pump put in today and the water is very cloudy! The drillers said sometimes it is sediment from the drilling process, but how long would it take for this sediment to go away? I know they ran the water for quite awhile today while installing the pump and they said they hoped it would clear up as they did that but it is still cloudy! They told me to run a sprinkler all night and hopefully the sediment would come out, but how long would that take?
    If it is just colloidal clay that is going to stay in the water, what is the best way to clean that out? I have heard that traditional filtration systems are ineffective. I am going to have the water tested next week. Is drinking clay water dangerous?

I have had some wells that took a few weeks to clear up. My best advice to you would be to run it as much as possible at the highest flow rate you can without overdrawing the well. The softer the rock the longer it will take to clear. I would run a garden hose right off of your holding tank and turn it all the way on. This is not an uncommon problem. Run the water everyday!

SAM

Last edited by Terry; 06-14-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Default One more thing?

Thanks Sam! Is it safe to feed to my animals? Or wash with etc.?

I wouldn't worry about the animals its only minerals and nothing that can harm their health. As far as your clothing you could get some staining and your screens on your washer could get plugged up. You can also get a lot of build up in your heating system depending on how much is coming through but it can be flushed once the well clears up. I'm not sure how much you have coming through or exactly how long it will take to clear but you could always have a cartridge filter installed to keep down the sediment while the well is being flushed. A cartridge filter is not a good permanent solution for heavy silt or sediment removal if the water doesn't clear up.

SAM

turn on a garden hose outside and let the well run. just let it go, don't turn it off. let it run until it gets clear and then let it run some more. this will help speed things up. also, we have had customers that don't do this and the problems never stops. it could be that the driller did not spend enough time with development and you might have to do some yourself.
    rshackleford

Thank you so much. I will do just that! I am pretty sure they didn't spend much time on the well development. How much time should they spend? The well drillers spent maybe a half day, if that after the drilling. Then the pump setter spent approx two hours to set the pump and run it. He left knowing the water was murky. Is this okay?

I am really frustrated! I have so much dirt in my pipes now, it is literally coming out as dirt! We have another well with good water, but it was in the process of going dry (hence the reason for the new well) I have tried to switch back to this well until we get the other one to clear up, but we don't have enough water in it to clear the pipes of all of the dirt and sediment.

I really hope it clears up!