GRundfos jpf 5a

Users who are viewing this thread

diverherb

Reaction score
I have a Grundfos jpf 5a pump on my house water system. It supplies water pressure-volumn from my airator/purifier system? It has the pressure switch built into the unit and is wired 230 it appears. I am finding it hard to locate one locally. I see Goulds all over the place but cannot find anyone to tell me what Gould pump I can cross over to replace this Grundfos pump. I was also told that I dont need a 1 1/2 hp pump, a 1 hp would be sufficient. It is a 3 bedroom 2 bath house with only 2 people living there. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Herb K

Speedbump

Reaction score
Put a 1/2hp sub back with a Cycle Stop Valve and be done with it. It will cost about 1/3 what that Grundfos cost and will work as good or better.

The reason for the large motor is, they have to put a larger motor on a smaller pump to make this variable speed pump work.

My 1/2hp sub is $344.40.

bob...

diverherb

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Speedbump but I dont understand. My pump does not appear to be a variable speed pump. Seems to operate at the same speed/rate when running. I do not know what a "sub back with cycle stop valve is. Could you please inlighten me a little.
Thanks

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The jpf 5a appears to be a 1.5 HP convertible jet pump. It isn't clear if you have a shallow well or deep well setup.

http://cgi.****.com/1-5HP-230V-Grundfos-JPF-Shallow-Deep-Well-CI-Jet-Pump_W0QQitemZ230119248588QQcmdZViewItem

The asterisks in the link are the famous auction site.

The equivalent convertible Goulds is a J15. You would have to match the jet to your existing setup.

If it is a deep well setup you should consider using a submersible if your well is big enough.

If it is a shallow well setup the equivalent Goulds is J15S.

You probably don't want a CSV if you are using a jet pump.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I was referring to getting rid of the jet pump alltogether and putting a sub into the aerator. It will work much better than a jet pump and can be used with a cycle stop valve. Your pressure will be constant when the pump runs and it won't cycle. And a 1/2hp sub will blow away a 1.5hp jet pump.

bob...

diverherb

Reaction score
Thanks Speedbump. I have seen this type of set up. I think that this is what I will do. My pump is operating fine at this time but is noisy and the wife is complaining about the noise due to the fact that the whole setup is setting right outside our bedroom wall. I think that with the pump submerged in my airator the noise will be much reduced. One question, how come with this set up I can go so much lower in hp than what I have at present.

Speedbump

Reaction score
A submersible is by far more efficient than a jet pump. It can produce more water at higher pressures than a jet pump of almost twice it's size. A 1/2hp 10 gallon per minute sub can produce 15 gpm at 50 psi where it would take a 3/4hp jet pump to do the same. The jet pump is just below it's shut off at 50 psi and the sub can keep going to 95 psi if need be.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks