Starting up a septic system

Users who are viewing this thread

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a new house for about a year and have never been lived in. i have been out there 2 times a week for a few hours.

The septic system is 2 tanks with 6 dry wells / sewage pits. .

The 2 tanks are 3000 gallon main tank and a 1000 gallon second tank. The 3000 gallon tank feeds into the 1000 gallon tank and then into the sewage pits. The county code calls for a 2 tank system with the second tank having an air rater.

I’m about to move into the house. There will be 2 adults and a 5 year old and a 2 year old. Should I use a treatment to help jump start the bacterial growth?

I’m only planning on using one treatment if that. After the tanks were installed I had them filled with water because I was not planning on moving in to the house for months. I have dropped about 50 loads (craps) in to the system and have had a few showers but that’s about it.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I don't know about filling the tanks, I may not have done that unless told to but... all you need to do is use the toilets. The system doesn't need any help of any kind. Keep oils, grease and fats out and don't flush anything like feminine products, facial tissues or use a garbage disposal much and wipe plates and table scraps into the garbage and your system will be fine for years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks