Sewer cleanout outside house is 8 inches too tall

Users who are viewing this thread

bingo

Reaction score
Hi all

The cast iron sewer cleanout for my house is in a bad spot to be sticking up so high. It is about 10 feet outside my foundation wall and appears to be a 3" pipe sticking vertically out of the ground. But the pipe has a fitting that enlarges to a 4" at the end (just before where the cleanout plug is)

So I'd like to dig into the soil around the pipe, cut it off below the grade and put on a new plug - then put a "valve box" (the plastic jobbies usually seen around sprinkler valves?) over top of it.

I've never done any outdoor plumbing and I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something. Would I just put a rubber adapter (like a Fernco or Mission boot) over the cut end and then put on an ABS cleanout and plug?

I actually have installed and replaced a lot of DWV inside of houses, but I don't have even a beginner's understanding of where this sewer cleanout leads to and what I should be considering as far as future access. I've never seen a diagram of where the waste pipe goes after it enters the basement floor!

thanks,

bingo

steve

bingo

Reaction score
PS It's cast iron...

Hi HJ

So you think the valve box isn't a good idea? I'm afraid of people not knowing where this cleanout is in the future...

you say "...glue on a female adapter"> I guess I should have been more clear: it is a 1920s house and the sewer cleanout is cast iron. That's why I was thinking a Fernco was necessary. What material of adapter should I use to be code? And is there any reason to attempt to make the pipe 4" at the plug (like it was before) or should I just use 3"?

Thanks again!

Bingo

bingo

Reaction score
HJ and all - trying to get a response

Hi
I don't mean to press but it has been a week and I didn't hear back from HJ or another plumbing expert. Can someone read my original post and my follow-up and help me sort things out? I'm doing this tomorrow!

thanks
bingo said:
Hi HJ

So you think the valve box isn't a good idea? I'm afraid of people not knowing where this cleanout is in the future...

you say "...glue on a female adapter"> I guess I should have been more clear: it is a 1920s house and the sewer cleanout is cast iron. That's why I was thinking a Fernco was necessary. What material of adapter should I use to be code? And is there any reason to attempt to make the pipe 4" at the plug (like it was before) or should I just use 3"?

Thanks again!

Bingo

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your plan will work fine. Use a Fernco that will go from CI to either PVC or ABS, your choice. Stay with the 3", I see no reason to have a 4" hole immediately reduced to 3". A female adapter will allow you to use a screw-in plug. The irrigation box is a good idea. One alternate plan might be to figure how to hid the existing clean out with some shrubs and just leave it as is.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Co

A female cleanout ferrule and a No-Hub coupling is all you need, once the pipe is cut off. I forgot, or missed, the cast iron part in my original answer because cast iron cleanouts are becoming very rare.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks