Need Longer Drain Hose

Users who are viewing this thread

Louisville Fan

Reaction score
Please Help,

I bought a new Dishwasher (Kenmore 665.13732K601) and it came with a special drain hose that has a barbbed end that fits into the Dishwasher. It's only 6'-0" long I need it to be at least 8'-0" long. I have talked to Sears severial times and they don't have one:mad: . My install manual says I can go up to 12' away to drain it:confused: .

-Thanks

Louisville Fan

Reaction score
OK, so I tryed to install my Dishwasher last night and my hose is about 3" from making it to my air gap.

I have read that I don't have to have an Air Gap as long as I make the hose loop up under the counter top.

What is the min. height I need to loop it?

Is it just above the garbage disposal?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Air-Gap

You should loop it as high as you can under the sink. Or, you can just connect a short length of hose to the end of your original hose and use your air-gap.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some locales require an air gap...it truely is safer to use one. Yes, many people go without one. All it takes are just the right conditions and you can end up with contaminated dishes and you might not know it. That is what the air gap is designed to protect you from. But, should you decide to go without it and your inspector will allow it, you want the hose as high as possible. The goal is to prevent any possible backflow into the DW if something gets clogged up. The air gap does that in two ways (redundency is good) - there literally is an air gap in the pathway, preventing it from happening, and, since it is above the countertop, it is pretty hard to flood that high.

Jwray

Reaction score
"Just the right conditions"

Hey Jim,

I'm planning to do the high loop attached to the underside of the counter top vs. an air gap, but you have me wondering.

Can you explain what "just the right conditions" are so I can better assess my risk.

Thanks,

Joel

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
High Loop

If your sink backs up to the rim and beyond, your high loop will fail, and dirty water will backflow into your dishwasher. If that should happen, all you need to do is run your dishwasher again after you have fixed your drain problem.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Louisville Fan said:
OK, so I tryed to install my Dishwasher last night and my hose is about 3" from making it to my air gap.

I have read that I don't have to have an Air Gap as long as I make the hose loop up under the counter top.

What is the min. height I need to loop it?

Is it just above the garbage disposal?

If you are in KY, that Air Gap is code. You cut that bell end off the dishwasher hose down to the 5/8" mark and use a 4" piece of copper OR a double barbed nipple attached to 5/8" black hose and connect to the Air Gap.

Louisville Fan

Reaction score
Thanks For all the help!!

I was able to rout the hose another direction and I had just enough hose to connect to the air gap!!:) :) :)

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks