village won't allow me

Users who are viewing this thread

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ok folks. This morning, I contacted the village just to inquire about the second water line. It's because, our sewer is billed against water usage. I hate it.

Anyways, he asked me why I would like and told him that I want to have an irrigation system. He told me that I'm not allowed to put it myself. It's against the Illinois law. He told me that I need to hire someone who is licensed. However, I'm more comfortable doing it myself plus with the help I will be getting from this forum. And also, I would be able to save labor cost.

What should I do? Is it really against the law of Illinois?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't speak to Illinois laws, it does seem a bit restrictive, but you have to follow the local laws. It would seem reasonable to allow a homeowner to install the system but to require inspection before it could be used. The subject of water charges for yard usage has been discussed before, and it seems there are many ways it is handled by different authorities. In my area, the meter is read every two months. When water is being used for irrigation, the city uses the meter reading taken in the dead of winter as a base rate upon which the sewer charge is levied. That means in the summer, while I have to pay for the water I use, I do not pay sewage on the amount of water used above that base rate. It's still costly, but the water is clean and in good supply whenever I want it. My backflow preventer has to be re-certified annually by a licensed technician.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually, it is most likely your local village or town that sets the laws. They can make more strict regulations than the state if they want to. You need to check with the code enforcement agency in your village. If there is none in the village, then your county would have the authority.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
v1rtu0s1ty said:
Does anyone know where I can find about laws in IL?

Thanks!
Go to your local library and ask the reference desk for help. Codes and local ordinances and state laws should be available for you. Read up on your own.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
At a minimum, if they allow homeowners to do plumbing they probably require a permit, and probably have strict specs on backflow prevention, so you would have to find out what they require.

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, they told me that a permit is required for $200. Fortunately, it's refundable. And also, they do require backflow preventer.

I'm hoping that he'll call me tomorrow and allow me to install it myself. However, I may need to hire someone to install a new separate line for the irrigation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks