(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: 2nd meter

  1. #1
    DIY Senior Member v1rtu0s1ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    176

    Default 2nd meter

    I'm getting a second meter. I will use this for my future irrigation system. However, what should I tell the installer so that I will have a really good pressure? I remember, he told me that I need 1" meter. However, I don't know what he was talking about.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    In the Trades Gary Swart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Yakima WA
    Posts
    7,245

    Default

    You need to get a handle on the difference between pressure and volume. Your pressure will not change with the meter sizing, that is determined by the pressure in the city's water main. The volume that can be delivered at that pressure however, will be greater with the larger size.

  3. #3
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    Remember that your base water charge will vary with meter size. Ask the city what the monthly base fee is for a 5/8, 3/4 and 1". Get your sprinkler system designed to use the smallest one which will be adequate, as you will pay dearly for the larger meter

  4. #4
    In the Trades Gary Swart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Yakima WA
    Posts
    7,245

    Default

    It might be worthwhile to investigate just using 1 larger meter for both your domestic and irrigation. This would require a backflow preventer to avoid the possibility of cross contamination. The one factor that seems to vary by cities is how the sewage charges are handled. For example, my city takes the water usage in the dead of winter as a base rate and does not charge sewage use on the added water usage in the summer. My backflow preventer has to be certified annually, and I use a 1" meter.

  5. #5

    Default

    The size of the meter is the size of the pipe on the input side of the meter and therefore directly attributed to the volume of water that can pass to the irrigation zones. There are way too many details to look at in determining the meter size with an irrigation system because without knowing your contractors plan for heads, zones it is a crap shot. I'm assuming that since he told you to get a 1", that he is planning on building the plan with that GPM in mind. By you just using a smaller meter, you WILL have to re-work your plan.

    What ever you do.. check for credits against your sewer for having the second meter if you have public water/sewer. Around here in NJ - you would be a fool to not have a second meter. Those of us with second meters usually get a big enough credit on our sewer bill to pay our sewer bill for the winter months. Let's face it... you're going to use the water anyway, why pay the sewer bill on water you are dumping on the lawn.

  6. #6
    DIY Senior Member v1rtu0s1ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart
    You need to get a handle on the difference between pressure and volume. Your pressure will not change with the meter sizing, that is determined by the pressure in the city's water main. The volume that can be delivered at that pressure however, will be greater with the larger size.
    I bought an Orbit pressure gauge checker last year. I still remember the reading and it is 57psi. I just hooked it outside the faucet. Is that accurate/reliable data?

  7. #7
    DIY Senior Member v1rtu0s1ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Remember that your base water charge will vary with meter size. Ask the city what the monthly base fee is for a 5/8, 3/4 and 1". Get your sprinkler system designed to use the smallest one which will be adequate, as you will pay dearly for the larger meter
    I just finished speaking with the village and I asked them what you told to me. They told me that there is no monthly base fee. We are just going to pay for the water usage.

  8. #8
    DIY Senior Member v1rtu0s1ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart
    It might be worthwhile to investigate just using 1 larger meter for both your domestic and irrigation. This would require a backflow preventer to avoid the possibility of cross contamination. The one factor that seems to vary by cities is how the sewage charges are handled. For example, my city takes the water usage in the dead of winter as a base rate and does not charge sewage use on the added water usage in the summer. My backflow preventer has to be certified annually, and I use a 1" meter.
    Yes, this will be dedicated for irrigation. It won't be used inside the house maybe for washing the cars. I have confirmed from the village that water usage for the 2nd meter will not be used for calculating the sewer bill.

  9. #9
    DIY Senior Member v1rtu0s1ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dowop
    The size of the meter is the size of the pipe on the input side of the meter and therefore directly attributed to the volume of water that can pass to the irrigation zones. There are way too many details to look at in determining the meter size with an irrigation system because without knowing your contractors plan for heads, zones it is a crap shot. I'm assuming that since he told you to get a 1", that he is planning on building the plan with that GPM in mind. By you just using a smaller meter, you WILL have to re-work your plan.
    I will be installing the irrigation system myself. Only the second meter will be done professionally.

    What ever you do.. check for credits against your sewer for having the second meter if you have public water/sewer. Around here in NJ - you would be a fool to not have a second meter. Those of us with second meters usually get a big enough credit on our sewer bill to pay our sewer bill for the winter months. Let's face it... you're going to use the water anyway, why pay the sewer bill on water you are dumping on the lawn.
    Yep, confirmed, sewer bill won't be calculated against the 2nd meter.

  10. #10
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    Interesting that there is no base fee, but I am glad we raised the issue and now you have the definitive answer. Is there a different price to install different size meters?

  11. #11
    DIY Senior Member v1rtu0s1ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Interesting that there is no base fee, but I am glad we raised the issue and now you have the definitive answer. Is there a different price to install different size meters?
    If I recall correctly, the installer told me that prices are different. However, I didn't go into specifics. So should I get a 1" meter?

    I will call them again next week so they can do free estimate.

  12. #12
    DIY Senior Member v1rtu0s1ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Ok folks, I did some investigation regarding water pressure.

    Here are 2 pics of the gauge connected to my fire sprinkler system. Reading says it is somewhere between 75 and 80 psi.



    What is the red knob for?


    I connected the orbit to the outside faucet. Is it also called hose bib? Anyways, the reading was 54 psi. I was wondering why I was missing the 3 psi. I recalled that I forgot to turn off the other outside faucet. It's currently running right now, trickle method for the soaker.



    I'm wondering why readings are different. Can someone help me please?

    EDIT after 4 minutes: Hmmm, I remember that the guy at Ace Hardware told me that I should only use a gauge rated max at 100psi. Could this be the reason why I'm getting skewed results?
    Last edited by v1rtu0s1ty; 06-01-2007 at 08:50 PM.

  13. #13
    In the Trades Gary Swart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Yakima WA
    Posts
    7,245

    Default

    I suspect you have a pressure regulator valve on the domestic side of your system. 75-80 psi is too high for household use, so it is probably reduced to less than 60 psi.

  14. #14
    DIY Senior Member v1rtu0s1ty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    176

    Default

    So guys, what's the verdict? What would be your recommendation with the meter size if underground sprinkler system will be installed in the future?

    Thanks for all your help.

    Ron

  15. #15
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,605

    Default meter

    Use whatever size the city's incoming water pipe is. At that point a larger meter will not give any benefits. You still need an approved backflow preventer, not a Home Depot cheapest on the shelf one, ahead of the irrigation system.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •