Bathtub faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

dandandvikkik

Reaction score
I replaced my bathtub faucet washers but the water will not shut off. I tried 4 different washer sizes, 0, 00, 1/4, 1/4L and 3/8. These were flat washers. I even tried some cone shaped but still won't shut the water off. I have to use the shut-off valves in the basement to turn the water off. Do I need new stems? How do I know which washer is the right one? Any help would be appreciated! It's a Holiday, so I didn't call a plumber.... - Thanks, Dan

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Usually, the correct ( or incorrect ) washer size is obvious. Now, inside the valve body is a seat, the part the washer seals againgst when the valve is shut off. These seats go bad, and usually can be unscrewed and replaced.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
washers

I don't know how you could use those four sizes in the same stem. The recess for them is so vastly different that only the right size should have fit into it.

dandandvikkik

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the information....I'll see if I can r&r the seats, although I don't see how they can be unscrewed......as for the washers, the stems had like 2 different diameters that would allow for the sizes of washers....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

The only stems I have ever seen that had two different sizes were American Standard, and the smaller one was not for a washer. The faucet seats are sized for a particular washer size. You cannot use small ones with a large seat, although you could do it the opposite way if you could figure out how to get the parts to fit together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks