Tub/Shower Rough In Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

A Girl Can Do It

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new and I have 2 questions regarding tub/shower rough in valves.
I am currenlty remodeling my master bath and have gutted the space. I am planning on a deep tub, tile surround, shower, 2 or 3 handle controls.

1.) I noticed on an earlier forum a reference to Symmons valves as being a good choice for a universal valve.... do most of the current brand faucet trims fit this valve? Where do I find the Symmons valves?

2.) It seems to me everyone is converting to single handle valves (not sure why this so popular) I am planning to use a 2 or 3 handle valve (leaning towards 2 handles). Any opinions out there 2 vs 3? Any considerations 2 vs 3?

Thank you for a response!
Marlene

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a valve that accepts trim from other manufacturers. When a Symmons, or now also Delta, refers to a "universal rough in valve" they mean it accepts a variety of THEIR trim.

For example, the Delta R10000 will accept the 1300 series single handle trim, the 1700 series trim with separate temp and volume control, and the 17T trim which is thermostatic control. This works because the operating approriate operating cartridge come in the trim package.

A Girl Can Do It

Reaction score
Thank you both for a reply. Looks like I need to decide on my brand first.
Do you know of any place online that gives rating for faucet brands, ie repair track record, quality, etc?

Thanks for your help.

Marlene:)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rating

Any information from a site like that would be essentially useless, because those statistics are subjective and will change depending on which plumber you ask.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like hj said,
We did the poll before, and came up with all kinds of answers.
Pretty much all of them right too.

As to your first question on handle numbers,
Code now requires some sort of balancing, so single handle is pretty much it now.
If you go two handles, you need to add a separate balancer.
Instead of adding maybe $5 to the cost, think another $80 or so. Plus the time to install it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks