Toilet Flange problem

Users who are viewing this thread

BillM

Reaction score
Hi all.......New member.....1st post......so, here goes!

I am in the middle of remodeling my bathroom......had stripped all of the old tile, removed old toilet, and have a new Toto toilet to install......My question/problem: The original (25 year old?) toilet Flange was rusted beyond repair, and so I just snipped it off with tin snips.....Now, trying to fit a new flange over the old plumbing elbow that holds the flange? Not going smoothly......am I missing something? Went to local HD, and they sent me out with some new one piece flange with molded 3 inch diameter insert, to place into the existing flange plumbing? Doesn't look right to me......I just need to get a new flange put onto some old PVC, and then sit toilet up?

Any help/advice much appreciated! Very 'novice' at this!

-Bill

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A picture would help...

The pipe is pvc? and the flange was steel? It was probably glued on, and the steel was only part of the flange, not the whole thing. PVC is glued, actually solvent welded together. Sometimes you can split it off, but not always. Is the pipe 3" or 4"? If it is 4", depending on the flange originally attached, you might be able to put a new one inside, but I think you'll have some work to do first.

Do you have access from below? If so, the easiest thing may be to cut off the old part in a convenient place and glue in a new one.

BillM

Reaction score
Thanks, Jim......
I decided to 'cheat' on this.......HD sells a universal 'Super Ring'......it fits over the old PVC, so no need to break the weld/seal apart......just place the Ring over the 3 inch diameter that I have in place, apply Silicone Sealant to underside, and screw this directly into the plywood subfloor with galvanized wood screws......I also bought a plastic flange extender, which I will fix on top of the ring, to give me more height to accomodate my tile floor......I think its an easy fix, in this case......

Thanks again for the advice!

-Bill

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
easy fix

Easy, but not right. The proper flange would have been a two piece one that fits around your fitting and bolts together. Using that makes the flange and the pipe a single unit. Your flange does not restrict any movement of the pipe itself.

enriquehobart

Plumber
Reaction score
A picture of your situation would have and may still be best so that if you need to you can avert a problem.

I think that it is usually best to have the tile floor laid before the flange is installed in such fashion that you can still make the flange attachment without obstruction. This way your flange will be right on top of the finished floor which is the way that it should be.

Silicone?

Seems that when a flange is attached to the pvc pipe that it is usually primed and then glued.

I am guessing that hj is referring to a two piece flange that would be mounted around the outer diameter of the pvc pipe and has a metal ring that rotates for ease of installation.

...right?

aka eric sandstone

BillM

Reaction score
No access to a digital camera, so can't provide a pic.....but.....the ring that I got from HD fits perfectly around the old flange that is "glued" into the actual PVC plumbing.....So, it will do a great job at restricting movement (there won't be any movement, once its bolted into place)......I think that problem worked out for me.....

Now getting ready to tile subfloor, though......so, I've got a question on installation of a Toto toilet......it is a 1.6 gal flush, and it has a relatively "new" toilet flange setup......One plastic piece setup.....front fits into the flange opening of the subfloor, and back of it seats into toilet itself.....If anyone is familiar with this setup, my question is: when installing this flange setup, should it be bolted directly to the subfloor, and tiled "around"? OR.....is it best to lay all tile, and then to bolt this "on top" of finished Ceramic tile? Either way, toilet is simply placed over this setup, and tightened down......but not sure on the correct placement of the flange system (to subfloor, or on top of finished ceramic tile?)

Thanks!

-Bill

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the Toto Unifit adapter. There is a different one for the Aquia. Basically, regardless of the brand, the toilet flange is designed to be installed on top of the finished floor. With the Unifit, you bolt the front of the adapter to the flange, then drill through the floor to mount the rear end of the adapter. Once that is anchored, you set the toilet over it and bolt the toilet to the adapter. All of this is done on top of the finished floor.

Now, depending on the type of floor tile you have, drilling holes can be a pain. Pick up a diamond core bit at Lowes, or online the proper size and don't even think about a carbide bit. Harder porcelain tile will laugh at carbide - it isn't hard enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks