Critique, please

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianL

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just finished a polybutylene to PEX conversion. Please help me learn, anything you would do different?

1. How else would you secure PEX when coming up from the bottom of a sink cab? It seems kinda floppy.

2. I added an expansion tank after putting in new pipes and hot water heater. I will wrap all of the pipes in insulation today (the tank is in the garage). Is the flue OK? I dont smell any fumes, and air is being drawn into the hood. Pipes run OK to the expansion tank?

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I wont have to redo anything!

--Brian

Attachments

• sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 292
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 290

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
looks ok but......

your work.....it looks ok
...and you cant make the pex look
that good anyway.....

you got the therm exp tank strapped and that is good....

I have seen better and worse.....

the only thing I see wrong is it appears you installed a

WHIRLPOOL FLAME LOCK water heater....

which is a complete piece of junk and will be lead to troubles in a year or two.

their is a class action lawsuit on them in california,

but LOWES dont tell you that..

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
BrianPlumBrian said:
How else would you secure PEX when coming up from the bottom of a sink cab? It seems kinda floppy.

As installed, your pex is actually less vulnerable to bumps or whatever than is the drain plumbing, but you could attach a block of wood to the back wall and clamp the pipes to that if they worry you greatly.

BrianPlumBrian said:
Is the [water heater] flue OK? I dont smell any fumes, and air is being drawn into the hood.

There is probably an adapter that would close the gap between the hood and the flue, and I would probably look for one of those (or make one).

BrianPlumBrian said:
Pipes run OK to the expansion tank?

Connecting the tank to the center leg of the tee could leave you with one less turn for the flow line to make, but that is not really any big deal.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

You appear to have a 3" draft diverter stuck into t 4" flue pipe of some king, although I have never seen an elbow like that. You either need an increaser or some way to seal the joint better.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are transitions to copper that are often used to attach the shutoffs for sinks, etc. This allows you a little more lattitude in what you use to make that connection, and is easier to anchor in the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks