Vent... should it stay or should it go

Users who are viewing this thread

Dkrasko

Reaction score
I have removed a shower and the drain for it from the line main. It had been between a full bathroom, laundry room and my kitchen. I easily meet the venting needed for the remaining fixtures on the line. My question is, if I just cap off the old vent inside the wall for the removed shower could that cause me problems? Will leaving it help at all with the drainage of the line in general? I can go either way. I was concerned if it was capped off, it might collect material and create a stoppage down the road. Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

If, as you say, the vent was just for the shower, then it makes no difference whether it stays, is capped off, or is removed. It will have no effect on the rest of the system, and nothing should get in it to cause a problem elsewhere either.

Dkrasko

Reaction score
Great advice from everyone..thanks!

Based on the information you all have supplied me with, I've decided to remove the vent pipe. All the plumbing in the bathroom and kitchen has been updated to code with proper venting. The vent line I'm removing (now) is on a 3 inch line with an up sweep w/o threads. I'll just be cutting off the ABS and cappin it! Thanks to everyone.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj's comment was right on.

When a shower is removed from the system, it won't affect anything else.
Every fixture should have been plumbed to stand on it's own.
So, cutting out the shower, and capping the vent would be fine.
Sometimes in new construction, a plumber will drop a capped vent line from the second floor, in case the homeowner adds pumbing in the basement.
Then the homeowner can cut the cap off later and use it for the downstairs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks