Moen trim kit - Handle sticks out too far

Users who are viewing this thread

EPB

Reaction score
I am trying to install a trim kit on my recently installed shower stall. I have a moen positemp valve and have recently purchased the trim kit.

When I went to install the trim kit, the handle sitcks out a inch or two over where I think it should be. The shower stall is installed in a 2 x 4 enclosure and does not have 2 x 6's on the valve side (if this makes a difference).

What is the problem here? and how do I get the handle to the right distance to the trim.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
All shower valves come with an installation guide....often a plastic flange temporarily attached to the body. This guide give the range of the mandatory location of the finished wall surface. There is only a limited tolerance which can be taken up by the screw length, sleeves, etc. In the case of Moen, I believe the range of tolerance is about 1/2 to 5/8". Your valve was not installed to spec, and there is little you can do about it. If valves are too far back, extenders can be used. In you case, I do not know how you would adjust without moving the valve/

EPB

Reaction score
In trouble

So what you are saying is that I am in trouble here.

In a 2 x 4 wall install, is there enough room to properly install? If so, I can open up the back of the wall and move the valve.

I am assuming this can be done. Maybe some one can confirm this.

Thanks for your help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

There is no "ideal" amount of stem to stick out of the wall. Plumbers install the valve with the idea of not putting them so far back that they need extenders, or so far forward that the trim plate will not touch the wall. Other than that, any place between those two points is a good installation. It is your perception that decides if it is "too long or too short", not the manufacturers specification that allows a certain degree of latitude.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
more chrome

does this mean when the handle sticks out farther than you would have liked, that it shows you more chrome than you would have wanted? And that it is longer than you would have liked? If that is all, then it's subjective and you may very well get used to it. If the plumber had asked, "Do you want to see a lot of chrome and have a bigger handle, or to see less chrome and have a shorter handle?" then you would have had a choice to make at that moment during rough in.

david

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handle

If the plumber had asked, "Do you want to see a lot of chrome and have a bigger handle, or to see less chrome and have a shorter handle?"

And if you had said, " short handle", his next question would have been, "How thick is the finished wall going to be?" If your answer had been wrong and the valve wound up farther back in the wall, (and it would not be the first time it happened), then you would have had to pay for an extension kit, (and none of them are inexpensive). It also would have made the handle project out about the same as if you asked for a long handle stem.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
i used Kitech's aqua piping to bring supply water over to the shower valve, converting to copper at the last elbow. Then, when I wanted to pull the whole assembly out 1/4", I had that leeway. Might have worked with copper too, depending on the layout, elbows and strapping.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks