HELP! Manabloc/PEX Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

mamato2girls

Reaction score
We are building a new house & installed a Vanguard Manabloc with PEX tubing for all our supply lines. It went great & I was really pleased with it. We are amatuers trying to get by. My husband was attaching the main supply line to the inlet on the manabloc. I guess he got the fitting on crooked & didn't realize it. Instead of backing off he just gave it his all & screwed it on. Now the threads are stripped. I can't get the fittin gto go on straight now. What are my options? Am I going to have to cut all my connections off & install a new manabloc? This is the Vanguard 14-port manabloc (my mom will be living with us & this feeds her part of the house, we have a separate 30-port for us). It is the bottom of the manabloc where there is one port. Thanks so much for your help. I am trying to make it doing the things my dad would have done had he not passed away the month after we started the house. Needless to say I have learned a lot. Thanks!

Xenomorph

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a 36 port manaboc right now, and I know how easy it is to cross-thread one of the main ports since I almost did it myself! The problem is that the threads are plastic on the manabloc, and if you ruined them by completely cross-threading the entire thread on the port...I think it's pretty much shot. You can give Vanguard a call and see what they say, but I'm pretty sure they are going to tell you exactly what it say in the instructions...to watch what you are doing so as to not cross-thread. I don't think any quick fix like putting on excessive teflon tape would do anything, and you can't use any kind of thread sealant like pipe dope because it's a potable system. I think Mark is right and you'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new one. And like Mark said, you don't have to cut off the runs you have already done and use a coupling, you can just unscrew the connections, put in the replacement Manabloc exactly where the old one was, and just connect the lines again.

good luck.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A tip I've found useful when trying to start fine threaded stuff is to carefully turn it backwards. You can usually either feel or hear when the threads start point is crossed - it will drop slightly. Then, start threading things together.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Xenomorph said:
and you can't use any kind of thread sealant like pipe dope because it's a potable system.

Is this accurate? I have used pipe thread sealant on potable water connections before.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks