Kohler 3397 flapper

Users who are viewing this thread

swimfan

Reaction score
I have a problem with the flapper on my Kohler 3397 staying down. I have replaced the flapper three times in the last 2 years. (So, it isn't the age of the flapper itself)

It seems to work for awhile. But, then it just stops on it's own with no explanation. I have replaced with the correct flapper, and now have tried two generic versions as well.

Any ideas of why this is happening? and any solutions?
Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do you use anything inside the tank like one of the cleaning tablets, or any other chemicals? If so, stop!

swimfan

Reaction score
Yes, I have tried the Korky flapper. I have also taken the styrofoam piece out of the flapper thinking that was part of the problem.

It's almost as if there is not proper suction to hold it in place. But I can't determine why that would be. There is nothing that I can find in the path from the tank to the bowl.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flapper

Without the styrofoam it will not stay open the proper amount of time. Suction does not keep it closed. The weight of the water on the top of it, pushes it closed. If it leaks there is some other problem, possibly a cracked flush valve, or a defect in the seal area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks