Laundry room remodle

Users who are viewing this thread

dklein2149

Reaction score
I am remodeling our laundry room. I plan to replace the existing concrete 2 bowl laundry tub with a new fiberglass two bowl tub. I have several general plumbing questions: I want to install a "valve box" for the washer connections. I am also planning to run the supply plumbing for the laundry tub behind the wall. Can I use the same air chamber for both sets of valves or do I need an air chamber for each set? Currently one set of air chambers exists (one for hot and one for cold) but both the faucet and washer connections are connected vertically in series. With the new plan the valve box will be 12" offset from the planned new laundry faucet supply lines. Also is it ok to replace the old galvanized waste line with a plastic pvc line into the main drain?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
remodel

AIr chambers, when they work, are best installed at each fixture. But since they are seldom used anymore, and have a limited lifetime of actual service, anything you do will work until they fill with water and lose their functionality.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As hj mentioned, air chambers were a "good idea at the time" but have prooved to be effective for only a short period of time, and then become a place for water to stagnate and cause problems. You should get actual hammer arrestors ( the kind with rubber bladders) and install one set, or a set at each fixture. Sioux Chief makes them and others as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks