Swamp Cooler Axle Bearing Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I haven't done one of these before. I had to cut off the corroded bolts holding the bearing housing in place. The housing came off with what was left of the rubber "pillow". The bearing itself, with its brass bushing, is fused to the axle. Anyone know where I can get a pillow block bearing puller that will work for a swamp cooler axle? I guess I can try to cut it off, but I'd rather try to pull it off. Also, if it's such a tight fit, how do I slide the new one over the axle? I would hate to have to pound on it with a hammer.

Attachments

• Bearing.jpg
    Bearing.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 3,526
Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
No Problemo

Turns out you don't need any special bearing puller for this. I used a torch and then worked it loose with my largest channel locks. After I cleaned and lubed up the axle, the new bearing slid on easily.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks