(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: off topic question

Default off topic question

Hi folks,

I don't know where to ask this question. I was hoping you can shed some light. This isn't really for whole lawn sprinkler system. I'm thinking of buying a submersible pump which is 1/3 HP and capable of 22 gallons per minute according to the specs. What I am planning to do is submerge this pump in a 55 gallon plastic container filled with water, and then connect a garden hose with a sprinkler at the end. Will it the sprinkler be strong? I'm thinking of putting a maximum of 2 sprinklers only.

The purpose of this is for the application of actively aerated compost tea(ACT) which I am brewing. You can see my videos of my AACT brewing at http://restricted.dyndns.org/aactbrewinglog.html

That's the liquid that I'm planning to spread to my lawn using the submersible pump.

So guys, please let me know if it's strong enough to drive 1 sprinkler head. I just want to easily apply it rather than walking back and forth with a 2gallon water garden can.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ron

Typical submersible utility pumps are designed to move a lot of water, but not at sufficient pressure to operate a sprinkler head, which probably requites 20 PSI minimum, and would be better at 25 to 40 PSI.

Look at the specs for the pump you want to buy. Look for the specs on head, which is in feet. Each 10' of head represents 4.4 PSI. SO, you would be looking for a head of 50' minimum, and probably wont find that in a submersible pump. They make sprinkler pumps to do this , but they are not submersible. You could go with a well pump. None of these are real happy about a lot of crud in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    They make sprinkler pumps to do this , but they are not submersible.
    I can go with any solution as long as it can suck the liquid from the 50 gallon container and out to the sprinkler.

You could go with a well pump. None of these are real happy about a lot of crud in the water.
    I'm sorry but I did not understand what you mean by this.

Thanks.

Ron

I was envisioning a lot of floating debris in your mixture, which can foul a pump. Perhaps I was wrong about that. If you filter it to remove sediment, there should be no problem. You can usually find a sprinkler booster pump at any hardware or home store.

I was envisioning a lot of floating debris in your mixture, which can foul a pump. Perhaps I was wrong about that. If you filter it to remove sediment, there should be no problem. You can usually find a sprinkler booster pump at any hardware or home store.
    Oh so you mean, the subpump I showed to you will work? But I need a booster pump. How do they look like? I'm assuming I should put it in between the sprinkler head and subpump.

And yes, there will be very few debris. Most of them will just be 1mm or 2mm max.

Thanks again!

Ron

What about this product, is this strong enough?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93819

And also, what is going to happen to the submersible pump if there isn't enough water coming out from the sprinkler head?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty
    What about this product, is this strong enough?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93819

And also, what is going to happen to the submersible pump if there isn't enough water coming out from the sprinkler head?

Thanks!
    You can't run sprinkler heads with a sump pump. Not enough pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet_Boots
    You can't run sprinkler heads with a sump pump. Not enough pressure.
    There will be only 1 sprinkler head that I will be using. It's not really for watering the lawn. What do you think?

That pump is listed as max head 33 feet, which is around 14PSI. That is not enough to operate most sprinkler heads, not even one.

That pump is listed as max head 33 feet, which is around 14PSI. That is not enough to operate most sprinkler heads, not even one.
    Can you please teach me how to calculate the PSI if max head is given? What do I need to add in order to drive at least 1 sprinkler head?

Thanks!

Rancher

.433 psi per foot

Lots of charts out there, just Google for psi water.

Rancher

Previous member

50 gallons per minute
    Thermal overload protection
    Pumps water to a height of 33 feet
    Drains water from a depth of 16 ft.
    UL listed
    120V, 60 Hz, 1 HP, 750 watts; 6 working amps; 1-1/2"
    They have a lot of damned nerve calling that pump a one horse pump. My 1/3hp effluent pump pulls 9 amps at 115 volts and only pumps 35 gpm at no head. What a bunch of false advertising.

Get a 1/2hp jet pump from somebody that sells real pumps and it will do what your trying to do. I have them for $257.04, my prices are very low for quality equipment and you can see it's a lot more money than Harbor Freight wanted for their hyped up sump pump.

bob...

Just got a reply from the vendor. This is what she said:

This may be to powerful for the size tank you are going to use.
    SUBMERSIBLE DIRTY WATER PUMP-1 HP, 750WATTS,PVC RUST RESISTANT HOUSING,W/FLOAT ,12500FLOW,OR 3000 GALLONS PER HOUR,50 GPM,MAX DELIVERY HEIGHT:33FT, MAX 16FT SUBMERSION DEPTH MAX PARTICLE SIZE: .196" OR 5MM
    Now, I am a little bit confuse. My faucet outside(from outside wall) can do 5 gallons in 40 seconds or roughly 6 to 7 GPM but I can operate 3 to 4 sprinkler heads. However, the product mentioned says it's capable of 50GPM but cannot operate a single sprinkler head. I'm sorry, I'm new to this realm. What is the relationship of GPM an PSI?

Thanks!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    They have a lot of damned nerve calling that pump a one horse pump. My 1/3hp effluent pump pulls 9 amps at 115 volts and only pumps 35 gpm at no head. What a bunch of false advertising.

Get a 1/2hp jet pump from somebody that sells real pumps and it will do what your trying to do. I have them for $257.04, my prices are very low for quality equipment and you can see it's a lot more money than Harbor Freight wanted for their hyped up sump pump.

bob...
    Thanks bob for letting me know. At least, I won't buy it anymore.

I have them for $257.04, my prices are very low for quality equipment and you can see it's a lot more money than Harbor Freight wanted for their hyped up sump pump.
    Can you please send me the link?

Thanks!

Ron