fountain problem

Users who are viewing this thread

vmplumbing

In the Trades
Reaction score
hello!!

i have a client who has a fountain...

fountain.jpg

his problem is that he's constantly, manually refilling the (pond? reservoir? unsure of the terminology...) due to both evaporation and excessive splash.

apparently there is no way to adjust force or speed of the pump...

what is recommended as a sort of "auto filler" for this application.

i was considering using something like a fluidmaster fill valve for a toilet, but it would be rather unsightly...

please post your suggestions here, and often.

thanks for your time.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
A ball valve might work to slow the flow of the pump, and maybe a search for "pond fill valve" would turn something up ... or maybe you could hide a regular fill valve inside that whatever-it-is?!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ball valves make lousy flow reduction valves - either fully on or fully off is what they are designed for. Any fill valve you install should have backflow protection to isolate the fountain's water from the domestic supply per the local code requirements to protect the safety of the homeowners and the public supply.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fill valve

You need a float valve so it can be installed just above, or under the water with just the float showing. A swimming pool filler "flipper" valve is all you need. Remember to install a backflow preventer on the water supply. If you use a Fluidmaster or similar, the you should install it in a remote location using something like a cement swimming pool fill pot with a water level equalizer pipe between the pond and the pot.

MikeFish

Reaction score
Buy a different pump

If the pump is too forceful, maybe he should think about a lower volume pump. I know it's likely the most expensive route.

Something else to reduce the pressure is a wider gauge outlet or increasing the amount of tubing between the pump and the outlet. When you increase the pressure head you decrease the flow.

Is he sure he doesn't have a leak?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Natural evaporation is likely to account for a significant amount of water loss when you keep running it down over the rock in a thin layer. Kind of surprised there aren't more mineral deposits, but they may not show while it is wet until very thick.

vmplumbing

In the Trades
Reaction score
folks, thanks for all your replies. there is a lot of food for thought here.

the lower volume pump, while expensive, sounds like the least-intrusive i.e no trenching or lines to hide...i'm starting to like that idea more and more...

i haven't physically seen this fountain...only the pic. my client seems to think the pond portion is too small to accommodate any kind of float valve, but i'm thinkin' the ones designed for ponds should work...

thanks to those who remind me of the backflow prevention. this would be easily overlooked by me, because i don't do a lot of landscape plumbing.

hj--this solution also seems sound. it would require some digging up of yard and/or camouflaging of materials...i'll definitely present this to my client as an option.

thanks again folks for your time. have a good weekend!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks