40/70 pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Air is a progressive spring, not linear. So, if you start at a lower pressure, the volume change is greater than if you start at a higher pressure.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Bob NH said:
For the case where the tank is properly precharged for the "start" setting, a 30/50 setting has more available drawdown than a 40/60 setting because the air is compressed to a smaller volume in going from 30 psi to 50 psi than is the case when compressing from 40 psi to 60 psi.

Because the final "stop" volume of air is less, there is more water in the tank that can be "drawn down" before the pressure reaches 30 psi again and starts the pump.

Bob, I've talked to a lot of layman in my life and that is not in layman's terms but...

I would have said, since the air precharge for 30/50 switch settings is 28 psi, and 40/60 gets 38 psi, there's less air in the 30/50 tank than the same tank set for 40/60 psi. Therefore there's more water in the tank with the least air in it; that's the 30/50 tank.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gary Slusser said:
The higher the pressure the pump is run at, the less drawdown gallons in the pressure tanks. That's because with higher pressure, the velocity of the water is increased.

You can tell them anything you want, but if you tell someone who knows anything that the drawdown is less "because with higher pressure, the velocity of water is increased.", they are going to think that you are trying to put something over on them.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Ok, so now I've jumped through your hoops while you've repeated your correction of my incomplete comment and we can talk about velocity. I'm sure you agree that higher pressure causes higher velocity? Do you agree that higher velocity causes more water use than the same house would use with lower pressure settings?

If not why not? alternety and rancher, you can join in if you want to.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bob,
all the technical stuff adds up to nothing. Most people that i do service work dont want to hear drawn out technical explanations. What they want to hear is when they will be able to take their next shower. Straight forward simple explanations is what people want to hear. This is the water well business not a college classroom. A lot of my customers get confused with technical crap because they cant understand it.what they do understand is that their lives are turned upside down because they have no water and I'm the one with the technical knowledge to fix their water issue. Its good that you know all that tech stuff but in the real world people are just relying on your experience and knowledge to get the job done. When you have 3 no water calls in one day you learn real quick that trying to explain all the tech crap to people who just want know when they can take a shower,is just a waste of time. Go out and start doing some service work and you will know exactly what I'm talking about. Heres a little tip if you want to make money though, " Leave the calculator and text book at home."

SAM

R

Rancher

Gary Slusser said:
Do you agree that higher velocity causes more water use than the same house would use with lower pressure settings?
Hmmm something else for me to test, evaluate water usage with a 20/40 setting vs a 40/60 setting.... nah, I think not.

Gary, you're assuming people will take the same time in the shower, or have the valve open the same amount with the higher velocity water, and we would water the lawn the same amount of time... I don't know about you but after my lawn flooded a couple of times I would reduce the amount of time the sprinklers were on.

Rancher

R

Rancher

speedbump said:
Since Rancher was the only one to comment on my Tailpipe thread, maybe some of the engineers can explain why this is so in technical speak, but not so in the real world.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13381
Not sure what you mean not so in the real world? The reason the max lift of water (sucking it up) is limited to 33.9 feet is because of the atmospheric pressure, at sea level that would be 14.7 PSIA, we know that for every foot of elevation we raise the water tank we get .433 psi/foot more. 14.7/.433 = 33.9 feet.

You can't get 33.9 because that's true only in an absolute vacuum, at sea level, and you have other losses.

Rancher

R

Rancher

Wow, a gold star, another 99 of those and I'm qualified to be Sammy's apprentice.

Of course if it was Bob NH or me and wanted to get water using an above ground jet pump, from say a 50' water depth, we would just hook up our spare flea market obtained air compressor to the well seal after making sure it really was a seal, and now we've changed the atmospheric pressure and can easily pump from 50'...

Rancher

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gary Slusser said:
Ok, so now I've jumped through your hoops while you've repeated your correction of my incomplete comment and we can talk about velocity. I'm sure you agree that higher pressure causes higher velocity? Do you agree that higher velocity causes more water use than the same house would use with lower pressure settings?

That depends on how you are using the water.

A toilet that requires 1.6 gallons per flush uses the same amount of water regardless of pressure.

If you are applying 1/2" of water on your lawn to irrigate, it is the same amount of water no matter what the pressure.

Your washing machine fills to a level, regardless of the pressure.

If you fill a bucket of water it is the same amount regardless of the pressure.

In any case, drawdown has absolutely nothing with velocity; and what I was commenting on was a complete sentence that ended with a period.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
And all other water use such as showers, brushing teeth and all other water use where the water volume is not 'measured' as in your examples, will increase the volume of water used.

Increased water use causes the pump to start more frequently and that decreases the life of pump motors.

R

Rancher

Gary Slusser said:
And all other water use such as showers, brushing teeth and all other water use where the water volume is not 'measured' as in your examples, will increase the volume of water used.
You're assuming the person is not smart enough to turn it on and off faster, OK, you're right a higher pressure will use more water...

And you know what assume really means.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks