Do extra fittings cause loss of flow or pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick.a

Reaction score
I finally installed the new pump/tank system in my summer cottage and everything works pretty good. In fact, the wimpy jet pump down the hill at the well takes a long time to re-pressurize the tank (30-50 switch), so it does not cycle very much during extended water usage. Kinda like a built in CSV.

My question though... In order to get the piping lined up with the pump in the well pit and not kink it, I had to use 2-90 deg. elbows. Does having ells between pump and tank lower the flow rate or pressure signifigntly? Also, do those little barbed pipe connectors also cause a loss?

Specs: 1/2 HP Goulds jet pump on shallow dug well with 12ft drop pipe. 1" poly pressure line goes uphill 30ft and 150 ft horizontal to tank/switch, which is in crawlspace under the house. I want to get all the flow and pressure that this system can deliver.

thanks,

Rick.a

Reaction score
Thanks Bob,

One more question. When I drain the system in the fall before the winter freeze, I would rather just drain the pump and leave it in the pump house. But the drop pipe will retain water because of the foot valve. Is there any trick to drain it, or must I pull the drop pipe to empty it. It's not very tough to pull it since it is only about 15 ft, but I want to seal the pipe to the concrete cap and would like to keep it in place permanently, rather than chance knocking debris into the well each Fall and Spring.
thanks,

Speedbump

Reaction score
There are no tricks I am aware of, but maybe some of those guys who like the snow and ice know of a few.

bob...

Raucina

Reaction score
One trick would be 200 psi poly pipe that would have no complaints if frozen or not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks