Two pump situations

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Mueller

Reaction score
I'm building a house in New Mexico and need advice on that house.
I am currently living in Washington State and need advice on my current setup.

In NM
I have a 600' well in the valley below where my house is. The well pump fills an 1100 gallon cistern, 140' above the top of the well. There will be a 1-1/4" line going from the cistern to the basement of the house. It will enter the basement about 3' over the floor, so there will actually be about 6'-9' of head. I'd like to set up a variable speed pump on the basement floor. Any suggestions on brands? I'd like to be cost effective. I am doing my own plumbing in the house and will do the interior framing and be a helper on the wiring. It is a 3 bedroom two bath house. It is only my wife and I, with occasional overnight guests.

The house in WA

We have a 200' well. The top of it is 70' below the basement. The water comes in and hits a large blue bladder tank. Then it goes through a water purifier/softener. By the time the water gets to the top floor bathrooms there is very little pressure. Can I set up some kind of booster pump to give us better pressure? I want to spend as little as possible on this fix as we will be selling this house in a few months.

Thanks for the help

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't recommend variable speed pumps. Give the Cycle Stop Valve a look.

#2. You might try turning up the pressure switch settings. Without more info, that's the best I can do.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the Washington house, start with two reliable pressure gauges. One goes at the pressure switch; the other after the filters.

When the water is not running, and when it is running, have someone observe both gauges. They should be the same when no water is running. If there is more than about 10 psi pressure drop across the filter when running, then it needs backwashed.

A cost effective pump for New Mexico might be a shallow well jet with a tank. It will give you decent operating conditions without a CSV.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Forget the gauges,just put the water treatment system on by pass and see if there is a difference in pressure. If you have a sediment cartridge filter,check to see if its plugged up. If you notice a difference in preesure after the softener is put on by pass it needs service. If you have no luck after that you could have a issue with the pump system.

SAM

Greg Mueller

Reaction score
I think I got the system in WA squared away. I just figured out how to raise the cut in, cut out point. The pump now shuts off at 55 lbs. Don't know what it is after the kinetico filter system, but it feels much better.

Any tips on how to set the bladder pressure?

I took a look at my neighbors variable speed pump and he uses a Goulds system. It supplies water for two houses at 85 lbs.

Will the smallest (1 hp) pump be enough to supply the house in NM?
Are Goulds long lasting pumps?

Speedbump

Reaction score
I would think 85 lbs is a bit extreme.

Brand names are a good thing. The thing to remember is: cast iron is good, plastic is bad. Wholesale suppliers or pump/well people sell good equipment. Off the shelf pumps at retail stores = junk.

bob...

Greg Mueller

Reaction score
So did I
I guess he has a pressure regulator on the house that is on the down hill side so it doesn't blow the faucets off. The other house is up hill and it gets the full 85 lbs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks