Toilet Flange Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Nin28

Reaction score
I'm about to install a new flange/pipe in my bathroom and have a question about installation. Right now I have a 3/4" plywood subfloor. I'm going to put 1/2 inch Wonderboard down, and then a layer of tile. At which layer of floor should the flange be installed? I was thinking that I would attach it to the Wonderboard layer, because going through the tile would quite difficult. Suggestions?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you notch the tile before putting it down, you don't have to drill through it. If that fails, at Lowes, you can buy diamond core drills, which may be required if it is a hard porcelain. Also, since the cement board (cbu) isn't structural, unless you need the height, 1/4" stuff is more than enough...save some money and aggravation and use the thinner stuff. Make sure to follow the instructions...cbu requires thinset underneath it; not to hold it down, the fasteners do that, but to fill any minor imperfections so it is 100% support for the tile. And, tape the joints with approved tape.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
use scrap pieces of tile.

use cut tiles, positioned to leave enough space already, so you don't need to drill through them afterwards. Even notching the tile is a bit more work than necessary. Use scrap pieces of tile, fragments.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks