How did "street" become fitting name?

Users who are viewing this thread

gdavis62

Reaction score
No definition needed for "street." I know what one is.

But how in the world did the name come about? I've posted the Q on other forums, and struck out.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
My guess would be it was the first elbow fitting used in the street to connect a smaller line to the side of a larger main line without the need for a tee in the main line. Sounds good huh? And since it screwed into whatever, it naturally of course was a male! threaded fitting forever more called a street fitting. It is a male elbow in your area right. lol

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Anyone got access to a 600 series Delta pressure balanced valve? I gots to needs one bad.

A customer tried to fix his and broke it off in the wall. Two shower valves in the shower enclosure....needs a match to go back.

This subject was discussed years ago in my apprenticeship but I can't remember what the truth was about street fittings.

I use them often in both water lines and drain.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
street

They were used in the "street" to connect to the city mains so they became street elbows. The term "fire plug" comes from the days of wooden water mains. When the fire wagon arrived at the fire, they would cut a hole in the pipe to obtain water, and then put a "plug" in the hole afterwards. Since the "fire plugs" were at the location of a fire, when they started installing fire hydrants the term fire plug remained with them.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They dug one up about 15-20 years ago in Lebanon OH in the middle of the city. No one on the street dept. knew it was there. They guessed it was put in some time in the late 1800s. I think they said it was oak.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
~10 years ago, a section of wooden gas main was found during an excavation in the warehouse district of Minneapolis. It was saved and now serves as a teaching aid. Of course it had been unused for ~60 years, but the pipe itself dated back to the 1870's. Way back from the wet-gas days.

Which ironically leads to the origin of another term: drip leg.

Conveyance of what we now call natural gas in the old days needed a bit of upkeep. Since a majority of the original gas mains were wood, water vapor was added to the gas to help keep the wood moist and swelled up to prevent leakage. (A sidebar to this for anyone in the Mpls area, this is why MinneGasCo/Relaint's pumping station is right off the river, east of 35W in Burnsville) The byproduct of this was the need to remove condensed water prior to using the gas at an appliance. Hence the drip leg was born.

Nowadays it may be called a dirt leg or sediment trap. It is still required prior to all controls/fixtures up here in the north, at vertical-to-horizontal changes in direction and when gas enters from an unconditioned space to a conditioned space.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I call the t&p drain pipe a drip leg.....slang in dez parts.

The gas utility company in my area states "Our gas is so clean that you do not need a drip leg at the fixture."

Sounds good but in the game of cards, it's the piping, not the gas that has particulates and dirt/debri. I couldn't tell you how many times oil from the threading collects in those drip legs. It's second nature for me to install them even though not required.

Anyone getting hustled in your area to join BNI? It's a business networking system where you have to join, you meet once a week and trade information amoungst yourselves for referrals. I am not interested whatsoever in regards to joining......sounds like a big amway pyramid scheme. I get letters from painters/siding guys/electricians and handymen trying to get me to become part of thier network.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
Man! Forget HJ, you guys are ALL OLD!!! lol... we better tap as much info as possible from you before you decide to golf for the rest of your lives :)

ps... sure did miss the ol' forum, how the hell is it possible that MPMark is not filling this thread with wise old saje advice?

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Kristi said:
Man! Forget HJ, you guys are ALL OLD!!! lol... we better tap as much info as possible from you before you decide to golf for the rest of your lives :)

ps... sure did miss the ol' forum, how the hell is it possible that MPMark is not filling this thread with wise old saje advice?

Old? Only my wife gets away with calling me that! I'm only in my high, lower thirties, lol.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
hj said:
I wasn't "old" until after my heart attack, and I still do not appreciate feeling my age.

I feel your pain. Hope you're doing well and since you're able to feel your age, you're much better off than the alternative... My wife says "you're only as old as those you feel". Or is it the one you feel? ummm she is younger than me... maybe that's femspeak!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks