Oil tank valve leak

Users who are viewing this thread

cirrus

Reaction score
Hi!

Great forum!

Our oil tank for the furnace has a shut off valve on it (bottom of tank) that has a slow drip to it from the valve stem which we catch in a small container. I'd like to fix it but I'm wondering how is this done? Seems that the oil left in the tank (there is 1/8 tank left) needs to be drained/siphoned out. Does anyone know how this would be done?

TIA!!

cirrus

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply....yea already tried that...still leaks. I probably need to remove the whole stem assembly and replace the washer or whatever those type of valves use to seal the unit. Or just replace the whole valve but in either case the oil needs to be drained I guess.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Turn the valve off. Remove the packing nut. If there is a brass "follower" bushing under it, lift that also. Install additional packing, replace the follower, and then tighten the nut.

cirrus

Reaction score
HJ,

I've never replaced the packing material just the washers....so I was thinking I had to remove the whole cartridge/stem. But thinking about it I can just take off that packing nut and still have the valve closed. I'll try that this weekend for sure! Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just try tightening it a little first. Only repack it if that doesn't work.

joe in queens

Reaction score
There is a way to change out an oil tank valve without draining the oil from the tank... even with a full tank. It's a two man job, requires some skill, and there's a risk of damaging the tank if not done right but it can be done.

But try what has been suggested here. It should take care of it.

cirrus

Reaction score
. It's a two man job, requires some skill,

And one guy has to have a real big thumb....LOL! Just kidding.

Thanks guys for the ideas...sounds alot more promising than what I feared!

cirrus

Reaction score
Not to jinx myself...and the tank is almost empty...but I backed off the nut and then retightened it....so far so good..no more leaks!

Thanks everyone!

Patrick Stanley

Reaction score
I have the same issue, and oil company wants $4,000 to replace the whole tank. You can see oil pooling in the cap, but leak is super slow. Is there a risk in tightening the nut in the picture? Is it just righty tighty?
valve.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks