PEX versus Copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Aumint

Reaction score
I am in a rural high elevation area of Wyoming installing my own plumbing. Is there any reason why I should install copper rather then Aquapex in my water distribution system?

Thank You.

Prashster

Reaction score
Lots of arguments for PEX (easier install, maneuverable around obstacles, fewer seams, no oxidation, etc). Only argument I've heard for copper is that it has a longer proven track record.

That being said, I'm adding a bar sink in my hall and considering pex vs copper, and I gotta say I'm leaning towards copper just because if and when I sell, it won't be questioned by a prejudiced prospective buyer.

Aumint

Reaction score
Thanks, I plan to use PEX and just want to be sure I am not overlooking anything.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
prashster said:
I gotta say I'm leaning towards copper just because if and when I sell, it won't be questioned by a prejudiced prospective buyer.

By then more folks may hear more about all the pin hole water leaks and water damage problems with copper, and may be prejudiced toward it.

The use of PEX etc. is called progress and only fear of the unknown, a dictatorship or ignorance (lack of knowledge) stops mankind from progressing.

If it were me, I'd go with homerun PEX using a central manifold, no branch and tee type install.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
:eek: There are reports coming from out west that they are doing testing on the top 3 manufacturers of PEX to see if certain chemicals are leaching basically POISON into the potable water systems.

The only reason why I would venture to say this is being done is due to an elevated rise in cases of CANCER. :eek:

70+ year copper systems in my area without problems, no pinholes. If your water is eating through copper pipe in your area.....you're not going to live long anyway. GOOD LUCK

Prashster

Reaction score
'Murder for a jar of red rum' spelled backwards...

If yr scared of Polyethylene, use cpvc - oh wait, that has phthalates. Cancer there too.

Use copper - oh wait, copper leaching into the water can cause kidney damage.

Pick yr poison.

Gimme a break. I subscribe to the "Dread Pirate Roberts" school of building up immunity through small doses of poison over a long time ;) But I'm no doctor.

Who drinks tap water nowadays anyway ;)

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
We're all dying.

I quit drinking tap water years ago after we did a tour at the water treatment plant.

Main reason: what they can't remove from the water. Certain chemicals no matter what aggressive treatment you give, it does not come out. The chlorine levels are so high coming from the plant it's deplorable. There's a reason why they call my area a cancer belt.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
RUGGED said:
:eek: There are reports coming from out west that they are doing testing on the top 3 manufacturers of PEX to see if certain chemicals are leaching basically POISON into the potable water systems.

The only reason why I would venture to say this is being done is due to an elevated rise in cases of CANCER. :eek:
WOW, I learn something every day! Dumb me, here I thought it was politics and wanting an excuse to replace all their pinhole leaking corroded copper with more copper and job/income protectionism.

BTW, did you hear someone say that fumes from soldering fluxes and solder causes cancer? If we don't stop all the honey bees from dying, we won't have to worry about it very long. We'll get slim'n trim and starve to death before cancer can git us. I heard someone says sunlight and preservatives in store bought donuts, cupcakes and pies gives you cancer.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
RUGGED said:
I quit drinking tap water years ago after we did a tour at the water treatment plant.

Main reason: what they can't remove from the water. Certain chemicals no matter what aggressive treatment you give, it does not come out.

Absolutely incorrect.

A.... Steve, you been breathing flux and solder smoke too long. You sure that wasn't the waste water treatment plant?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
so the summary is if you know of some reason why copper isn't suited to the local water conditions, you have Pex. And if pex becomes, in the long long term, a product that doesn't perform as expected, you'll have other options then.

FWIW, I'd install the nominally designated as 3/4" diameter pex since its inside diameter is quite small, both 1/2" and 3/4". There is no downside, not even cost. Advantages are less pressure required to get the same volume of water, perhaps less noise when water is flowing.

david

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Gary Slusser said:
WOW, I learn something every day! Dumb me, here I thought it was politics and wanting an excuse to replace all their pinhole leaking corroded copper with more copper and job/income protectionism.

BTW, did you hear someone say that fumes from soldering fluxes and solder causes cancer? If we don't stop all the honey bees from dying, we won't have to worry about it very long. We'll get slim'n trim and starve to death before cancer can git us. I heard someone says sunlight and preservatives in store bought donuts, cupcakes and pies gives you cancer.

And this from the people who say:

"Yeah, it's safe to drink softened water. A daily serving of softened water has no more sodium in it than a piece of white bread...But don't use softened water on your lawn, 'cuz the sodium will turn the grass brown"

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
dubldare said:
And this from the people who say:

"Yeah, it's safe to drink softened water. A daily serving of softened water has no more sodium in it than a piece of white bread...But don't use softened water on your lawn, 'cuz the sodium will turn the grass brown"

They're correct too.

FYI, there's 7.85 mg/l added sodium per grain per gallon of ion exchange; that's roughly a quart of water. Example, 20 gpg*7.85=157 mg of sodium; a slice of whit bread, 120=160 mg of sodium. Check food and beverage lables and you'll see much more sodium than that.

Proof...
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/AN00317
http://www.awqinc.com/sodium_softening.html
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/H20QL2/MF1094.PDF

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
EVERYTHING is trying to kill you

everything is trying to kill you

the air , the water, the soil, other animals,
inscets, microbes......

but because of our advanced medicines,
everyone is living the longest ever known

200 years ago people natrually died like flies
on every street corner. at 35-40 yrs old..

very few people lived to be 80 or 100...
children died all the time at childbirth or
from the diseases that were around...very sad times.....

mother nature herself sends all sorts of
microscopic viruses, plagues, ect at us all day long
trying to erradicate us...... to thin us out........

So dont worry so much about whats in your PEX or COPPER water because its probably as near to perfect as possible.

Just Look at the quality of the water systems from around
the third world..... you might as well be drinking from a sewer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

So...I would rather die quickly than have a slow death
being cared for in some nurseing home at 95 years old.....

Go out and have a doughnut , some coffe, a couple strips of bacon and smoke a cigarette....

you will feel much better...

something has got to kill you....

why die healthy???

bnoji

Reaction score
I think they are referring to plasticizers leaching into the water from the polyethylene. Here's a page that mentions their potential health risks:

http://tuberose.com/Plastics.html

I'm not a sicentist, and my material science experience is mainly in metals, so I have no idea if any of this is applicable to Pex.

Last edited:
R

Rancher

I'll drink the tap water, cuz I'm going to die in my sleep...

Just like my Granddad did, peasefully in his sleep, not like the rest of the screaming passengers in his bus when he drove over the cliff.

Rancher

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
bnoji said:
I think they are referring to plasticizers leaching into the water from the polyethylene. Here's a page that mentions their potential health risks:

http://tuberose.com/Plastics.html

I'm not a sicentist, and my material science experience is mainly in metals, so I have no idea if any of this is applicable to Pex.

I would expect no less from: This self-help alternative medicine site....

No matter that no one but alternative medicine types can find any plasticizers leaching from plastics used in plumbing or water treatment, the medical field, the food and beverage packaging industry etc..

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, when god invented electricity for refrigerators, it helped cut down on food poisoning from spoiled meat. But the smoke from the power plants causes some illnesses, including cancer. It's a tradeoff, and it's called "progress". We still enjoy the electricity, and we continue to make progress to eliminate the smog. One way to do that is nuclear, which overall is much cleaner, but it has the issue of fuel disposal. More progress.

There will be some missteps. Polybutylene was a misstep. There will be others. More progress.

PEX is no longer what you would call "new". We will find out soon enough if there are any chemical leaching problems. A high quality carbon-based filter rated for lead and VOC's used on your drinking water will take away those worries. And if you are talking bottled water, dont even go there. Recent reports in the news indicate that much of it is bottled right out of municipal supplies. Maybe a little filtering, a few mineral added for flavor.

Is PEX just slightly easier to damage if you poke it with a nail....yes. We will just have to get used to that, like we got used to wearing seatbelts. More progress.

Take vaccines. Literally hundreds of millions of people are live today, or at least lived to a ripe old age, due to NOT dying of polio, smallpox, etc.etc. Very occasionally, does a person get ill or even die because their genes were adverse to the vaccine? Yes. More progress. Your choice.

Sorry, it isn't Sunday, so I shouldn't be preaching!

If I were in your shoes, I would evaluate cost differences, the cost of filtering if I thought that was important, and the cost and ease of installation, and make a decision accordingly. I try to avoid sensationialistic , non-scientific reports on these issues.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
bnoji said:
I think they are referring to plasticizers leaching into the water from the polyethylene.

I forgot this.... Polyethylene has been used in well and city potable water systems since the 1960s. IIRC, PEX is a German invention and their?Euorpean water quality regulations are tighter than our EPA regs. And Pex has been used in Europe for roughly 35+ years.

BTW, PB is the most widely used tubing/pipe in the world, and not an inch of it is used in the US.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks