(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PEX versus Copper

Default PEX versus Copper

I am in a rural high elevation area of Wyoming installing my own plumbing. Is there any reason why I should install copper rather then Aquapex in my water distribution system?

Thank You.

no. final answer.

Lots of arguments for PEX (easier install, maneuverable around obstacles, fewer seams, no oxidation, etc). Only argument I've heard for copper is that it has a longer proven track record.

That being said, I'm adding a bar sink in my hall and considering pex vs copper, and I gotta say I'm leaning towards copper just because if and when I sell, it won't be questioned by a prejudiced prospective buyer.
    (important note: I'm not a pro)

Thanks, I plan to use PEX and just want to be sure I am not overlooking anything.

Quote Originally Posted by prashster
    I gotta say I'm leaning towards copper just because if and when I sell, it won't be questioned by a prejudiced prospective buyer.
    By then more folks may hear more about all the pin hole water leaks and water damage problems with copper, and may be prejudiced toward it.

The use of PEX etc. is called progress and only fear of the unknown, a dictatorship or ignorance (lack of knowledge) stops mankind from progressing.

If it were me, I'd go with homerun PEX using a central manifold, no branch and tee type install.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

There are reports coming from out west that they are doing testing on the top 3 manufacturers of PEX to see if certain chemicals are leaching basically POISON into the potable water systems.

The only reason why I would venture to say this is being done is due to an elevated rise in cases of CANCER.

70+ year copper systems in my area without problems, no pinholes. If your water is eating through copper pipe in your area.....you're not going to live long anyway. GOOD LUCK
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

'Murder for a jar of red rum' spelled backwards...

If yr scared of Polyethylene, use cpvc - oh wait, that has phthalates. Cancer there too.

Use copper - oh wait, copper leaching into the water can cause kidney damage.

Pick yr poison.

Gimme a break. I subscribe to the "Dread Pirate Roberts" school of building up immunity through small doses of poison over a long time But I'm no doctor.

Who drinks tap water nowadays anyway
    (important note: I'm not a pro)

We're all dying.

I quit drinking tap water years ago after we did a tour at the water treatment plant.

Main reason: what they can't remove from the water. Certain chemicals no matter what aggressive treatment you give, it does not come out. The chlorine levels are so high coming from the plant it's deplorable. There's a reason why they call my area a cancer belt.

Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED
    There are reports coming from out west that they are doing testing on the top 3 manufacturers of PEX to see if certain chemicals are leaching basically POISON into the potable water systems.

The only reason why I would venture to say this is being done is due to an elevated rise in cases of CANCER.
    WOW, I learn something every day! Dumb me, here I thought it was politics and wanting an excuse to replace all their pinhole leaking corroded copper with more copper and job/income protectionism.

BTW, did you hear someone say that fumes from soldering fluxes and solder causes cancer? If we don't stop all the honey bees from dying, we won't have to worry about it very long. We'll get slim'n trim and starve to death before cancer can git us. I heard someone says sunlight and preservatives in store bought donuts, cupcakes and pies gives you cancer.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Make sure you contact the ones doing the tests on PEX for CANCER and make sure you include cupcakes donuts and pies.

Good work gary, you're on target for the bait I just threw out in the mud puddle.

*heads to hostess outlet*
    Last edited by Dunbar Plumbing; 05-23-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED
    I quit drinking tap water years ago after we did a tour at the water treatment plant.

Main reason: what they can't remove from the water. Certain chemicals no matter what aggressive treatment you give, it does not come out.
    Absolutely incorrect.

A.... Steve, you been breathing flux and solder smoke too long. You sure that wasn't the waste water treatment plant?

so the summary is if you know of some reason why copper isn't suited to the local water conditions, you have Pex. And if pex becomes, in the long long term, a product that doesn't perform as expected, you'll have other options then.

FWIW, I'd install the nominally designated as 3/4" diameter pex since its inside diameter is quite small, both 1/2" and 3/4". There is no downside, not even cost. Advantages are less pressure required to get the same volume of water, perhaps less noise when water is flowing.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    WOW, I learn something every day! Dumb me, here I thought it was politics and wanting an excuse to replace all their pinhole leaking corroded copper with more copper and job/income protectionism.

BTW, did you hear someone say that fumes from soldering fluxes and solder causes cancer? If we don't stop all the honey bees from dying, we won't have to worry about it very long. We'll get slim'n trim and starve to death before cancer can git us. I heard someone says sunlight and preservatives in store bought donuts, cupcakes and pies gives you cancer.

And this from the people who say:

"Yeah, it's safe to drink softened water. A daily serving of softened water has no more sodium in it than a piece of white bread...But don't use softened water on your lawn, 'cuz the sodium will turn the grass brown"
    --Customers of plumbers: Never be afraid to ask for proof of licensure of the plumber servicing your equipment. A licensed plumber will be proud to show you his personal license.--

Quote Originally Posted by dubldare
    And this from the people who say:

"Yeah, it's safe to drink softened water. A daily serving of softened water has no more sodium in it than a piece of white bread...But don't use softened water on your lawn, 'cuz the sodium will turn the grass brown"
    They're correct too.

FYI, there's 7.85 mg/l added sodium per grain per gallon of ion exchange; that's roughly a quart of water. Example, 20 gpg*7.85=157 mg of sodium; a slice of whit bread, 120=160 mg of sodium. Check food and beverage lables and you'll see much more sodium than that.

Proof...
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/AN00317
    http://www.awqinc.com/sodium_softening.html
    http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/H20QL2/MF1094.PDF
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 05-24-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking EVERYTHING is trying to kill you

everything is trying to kill you

the air , the water, the soil, other animals,
    inscets, microbes......

but because of our advanced medicines,
    everyone is living the longest ever known

200 years ago people natrually died like flies
    on every street corner. at 35-40 yrs old..

very few people lived to be 80 or 100...
    children died all the time at childbirth or
    from the diseases that were around...very sad times.....

mother nature herself sends all sorts of
    microscopic viruses, plagues, ect at us all day long
    trying to erradicate us...... to thin us out........

So dont worry so much about whats in your PEX or COPPER water because its probably as near to perfect as possible.

Just Look at the quality of the water systems from around
    the third world..... you might as well be drinking from a sewer.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

So...I would rather die quickly than have a slow death
    being cared for in some nurseing home at 95 years old.....

Go out and have a doughnut , some coffe, a couple strips of bacon and smoke a cigarette....

you will feel much better...

something has got to kill you....

why die healthy???