sewage ejector pump problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Ktnewberry

Reaction score
our ejector pump seems to be sticking in the on position. It used to run briefly to empty the tank, then shut off. Lately it stays on for quite some time and eventually starts to make a loud noise. It sounds like it is dry in the tank and I'm wondering if the float is sticking? I haven't taken the lid off yet to look, not sure what to look for. Any advice?

Prashster

Reaction score
You can probably just slide the lid up the discharge and vent enough to peek in with a flashlight. If not, you'll have to remove the coupler or check valve on the discharge and possibly a coupler on the vent.
The pump should look like a sump pump. Look for the float getting lodged up against the discharge or the vent.

You should have someone flush the toilet a couple times while you observe how it ejects.

If the float appears unobstructed and the tank empties completely - just slowly, check the gate valve (should be fully open) and the check valve (should swing freely). To inspect the check valve, you'd have to unscrew it from the discharge. But if/when you do THAT, be careful you don't get a column of water (btn the gate and the check) flushing down on you.

If the float IS obstructed, then rotate the pump a little around the discharge until it's in a position that lets the float swing freely in all directions.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks