Epoxy painting for tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

lumina

Reaction score
We have a pink bathtub (metal, porcelain coated) w/ a surround (plastic). There are cracks in the surround. We are going to try to replace them, but we're complete novices. So, we thought we would paint the tub (bought Klenks refinishing kit) and replace the surround - we don't really know how to replace the tub.

This is the only shower/bath in the house. So, we wanted a speedy recovery time. The epoxy paint takes 5-7 days to cure/dry (plus the caulking drying time). Also, at about.com it was NOT recommended (though the guy had NEVER done it or seen it done).

Has anyone done this type of painting/refinishing before, or seen it done, and does it look good, ok, or sloppy?

Lumina
~stressing out in Washington

Smhowell

Reaction score
A friend at work is an investor/remodeler and he often uses epoxy paint to refinish tubs. Unlike the sales pitch that I got from a guy who wanted me to spend the same money as new getting a resurface, it lasts 5 to 10 years, if you apply it properly, then treat it gently. It looks ok brushed on, a little better if sprayed, but never as good as a new tub.

Regards,
Sharon

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tub Refinish

I think, for something like $100-150, you can get a company to come out and spray it. The sort of "paint" you need to use is extremely toxic, so make sure you have a full respirator if you are doing this yourself.

You should probably replace the tub surround first, so you don't mess up the new finish on the tub.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
reglazeing the tub as cheap as possible

you can get your tub re-glazed for about $350.00

you can put up your own tub shrround for about $150...

re-glazeing lasts about 3-5 years.....depending on how rough

you are to it....

their is no paint that will last any amount of time....

but if you reallly want to go real cheap you could always get
the garage floor expoxy paint and spread those
black sprinkles out all over the bottom of the tub.. like you see on
the garage floors...

that would really set it off nice

lumina

Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
their is no paint that will last any amount of time....

but if you reallly want to go real cheap you could always get
the garage floor expoxy paint and spread those
black sprinkles out all over the bottom of the tub.. like you see on
the garage floors...

that would really set it off nice

Ok, no need for snide remarks. :rolleyes:

We're broke, trying to sell the house. I guess we may look into attempting to put in a new tub ($98 at HD). Maybe we can get a plumber to come in and do the pipe work for inexpensive.

Thanks for your replies.........

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
lumina said:
Maybe we can get a plumber to come in and do the pipe work for inexpensive.
Don't bet on it. It'll cost you many hundreds for a plumber to install that plumbing correctly.

All the apartment complexes I've worked for had companies come out and spray the tubs. Many gave a 1 year warranty. That is going to be your cheapest alternative to making it look nice for the potential buyers.

Skeeball

Reaction score
I am also considering painting my fiberglass tub/shower combo as well as the surround. Rustoleium sells a kit made for this application...
HOW about using POR-15 whiteCote??
I have used POR-15 before on car restorations and have always hade great results when applying with a brush as it is self-leveling. POR-15 website says it can be used on sinks & tubs
Anyone else have experience in this area?

selfhelp108

Reaction score
I did an epoxy coat of my bath tub....it is now as good as new. I got some TSP for 5 bucks, cleaned the tub twice. Dried it and then coated the epoxy spray. It is as good as new and cost me less than 50 bucks. I got the Tough as Tile brand from Lowes. You have to get a respirator to do this job (costs about 30 bucks).

Good luck

Tbbarch

Reaction score
HOW about using POR-15 whiteCote?? Anyone else have experience in this area? [/QUOTE said:
Yes ... horrible experience.

MAJOR FAIL:
- Cannot apply fast enough to maintain a wet edge and thin enough that it does not run.
- Dry edges pill up and put debris in the finish.
- Needs to be stripped to try something else.

Whitecote has been renamed '2k Urethane.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks