Shower faucet drip a lot while showering

Users who are viewing this thread

Eltorro

Reaction score
I have an old Delta tub/shower control.
All of the water isn't diverted to the shower head when showering.
On this type you pull the plunger on the faucet to shower.
I have no model number to search on but I took a picture you can view at http://home.comcast.net/~richandellen/DSC00844.JPG

How can I repair this?

Dick.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
delta

I do not know why you disassembled the faucet to repair the bad spout diverter. And you took a lot more apart than is necessary even if you wanted to rebuild the faucet. Just buy a new spout, (the thing you call a faucet) and screw it on to the pipe in the wall where the old one comes off.

Eltorro

Reaction score
I took it apart so there was no confusion on what I had..so I could provide a picture. Must have taken 2 minutes and not being an expert or I'd be giving answers rather than asking, wasn't sure where the diverter was located.
Yes I should have called it spout and not faucet.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for the picture.

Including a picture is by far the most helpful thing one can do to assist us in providing assistance. Since some Delta showers have a diverter as part of the valve assembly, this picture provided the positive identification of your shower as having the diverter on the spout. Thank you for the picture.

By the way, save this picture. If your shower valve ever develops a leak, take the picture to the supply house. The picture clearly shows which type of ball you have and you can get all the parts on hand before you start to take it apart.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
delta

One reason why I said you took more apart than necessary, is that from the condition of the valve body, you had a very good possibility of twisting the front part off. If that had happened, not only would you have turned a simple spout replacement into a major job, but if your plumber did not know how to reassemble it, (and most do not), you would have been installing a new valve and that could have been a very major job.

Eltorro

Reaction score
One screw the handle came off..2 screws the decorative cover came off then that is what you saw..it was very simple. Maybe there to more to it on current models..This one is 30+ years old..I didn't touch the guts of the valve.
No functioning parts were removed except the handle.
Dick.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
delta

You unscrewed the large retainer nut and doing that is what breaks many valves if not done carefully if it is stuck. As an aside, the white "cam" is cracked so you might want to rebuild the valve as long as you have it apart.

Last edited:

Eltorro

Reaction score
Actually my wife thinks she wants brass so the probability the whole thing will go..On that subject what would be you normal process for removal?
I obviously can't use a pipe cutter in that confined area..Or can I just get brass trim, shower head etc and keep this valve?
Dick

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
delta

IF you buy the Delta #642-PB you should be able to replace all the parts except the brass body in the wall. You will still not have a pressure balanced unit, but it will make the changeover without any wall repairs.

Eltorro

Reaction score
Current spout is threaded. Can I use a set screw spout without replacing the threaded nipple?
Rich

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks