Would someone explain to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Smhowell

Reaction score
My husband and I have a really small house, so every square foot matters. Would someone explain to me why we can't put the water heater about the ceiling like we installed the central heat unit? There is more than 8 foot clearance up there. I want a 50-gallon capacity unit.

Is there a half height unit we could get for a reasonable price? Otherwise, if we wanted to spend $3500, we could install a gas tankless heater to recover the space, but this house is not appreciating, so we would never recover the expense.

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water heater

If you want to you can do it. There are no half height gas heaters but they do make a shorter one than standard, and electric ones come in various heights. The two problems are providing a way to get it up there, and then out again when it should leak, and protecting the house from damage when it leaks.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
what about freezing???

I dont know where you live , if it is
in the warmer climates that never freeze you are
all set....

if not then putting a heater in an unheated attic
is not wise...

and you could almost add a garage or a large storage barn
for $3500

recently we winterized to a home where some jack leg
actually moved the well tank and most of the water lines
into the unheated attic......

how this passed the home inspection is beyond me......
when the house was sold to some dummie,,

but come this
winter it will all freeze up solid...

Last edited:

Smhowell

Reaction score
Thanks very much.

Making a convenient attic access (I plan to anyway) and waterproofing is doable. but freezing in winter is a reason I can accept as an idea killer.

Regards,
Sharon

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It used to be done more often; In don't see it so much any more.

A 40 gallon tank, full, weighs probalby 400 pounds. Many ceilings are not built to support that weight. If it is gas, you will have possible issues with combustion air supply, and it you are in a very hot climate, you will have issues keeping the pilot lit in the summer. Also, today an inspector will insist on very good access for maintenance and replacement. Pushing it up through a hatch would not be accepted.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks