Gas string trimmer

Users who are viewing this thread

barumord

Reaction score
I just purchased a Craftsman gas trimmer for my weeds. It was their Anniversary addition and it was on sale for $100. I still did not open the box and I am considering to return it. It seems that many people complain about it not starting very easily. When I went to Consumer reports website, they recommend the Stihl FS 45 as the #1 choice. Can anyone give me some more information as to the Craftsman vs. Stihl?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Comparing Craftsman to Stihl is like comparing a BMW to a Ford Fiesta. They're both cars and will get you for point A to Point B, but that's the end of the comparison. On the other hand, it might depend on how much use you will give the trimmer. For a couple of times a month on a modest sized yard the Craftsman might be just fine. For serious landscapers, the Stihl would be the obvious preference.

barumord

Reaction score
Wow

For an extra $29, it seems like the Stihl is a much better buy

fcatwo

Reaction score
I cut firewood for several years with a friend who had a Craftman chain saw. From that experience I would say: if your intent is to develope huge arms and shoulders buy the Craftman. Otherwise buy the Stihl. My Stihl chain saw is 25+yrs old, has never been in the shop and still starts easily. I also talked to a guy the other day who was carrying one of the larger Stihl grass trimmers and he said he had used it commercially for 10yrs and had never had it in the shop. Good tools cost a little more but save you money and misery over the long haul. YMMV.

I was looking at Stihl grass trimmers a few days ago and noticed they have at least one model with an easy-start gizmo. Pulling the start cord winds a spring instead of starting the motor direct and when the spring winds tight enough it starts the motor. IMHO it's always worth a few extra bucks to get a tool your wife can use.

Frank

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What would be the better to buy in a trimmer a 2 cycle or 4 cycle engine and why.

Kiril

Reaction score
Depends.

4 cycle doesn't require mixed gas, however it will be heavier.

2 cycle requires mixed gas, but is lighter.

I will be getting the Echo 260 sometime next month. For a homeowner, if you buy echo, it will most likely be the last trimmer you ever buy. You also have all the addon options that make this tool extremely economical and versatile for both homeowner and pro alike.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Consider electric. A few years ago I was looking for a leaf blower and considered both gas and electric. My electric has plenty of power, ALWAYS starts, and the blower plus two 75 ft extension cords have served me well.

When I get aroud to replacing my 20 year old hard-starting 2-cycle string trimmer I will seriously consider electric.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
O.K. I went out and bought an electric trimmer.

But you need to help me, I have to go 900' with this and the extension cords are getting heavy and it is real hard dragging them around and sometimes they come unplugged.:D

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's beyond my two 75 ft extension cords. Anything 900 ft. from electricity is pasture and doesn't need a trimmer. Get a few goats and you can sell all-natural goat milk.

R

Rancher

Or depending on the Amprage you need, they make little generators about the size of a lunch box... My M&D had one for the motor home, they used it with a battery charger to charge their deep cycle batteries when they were camped somewhere for a long time.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks