Best type of pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

fohrman

Reaction score
I'm pulling my pump since there is a pipe leak in the well.
The pump is about 140 feet.

I'd like to know the current consensus on the best type of pipe to send back down. Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but I didn't see any existing threads on this topic.

Thanks

HandyAndy

General Contractor, Farmer
Reaction score
some what depends on the pump type and water quality, and if you trust plastic in the well,

some locations get best service from galvanized pipe, some black iron pipe,, some are using PVC heavy wall, some like the black roll tube, NSF approved of course, some may depend on how straight your well is, will it be rubbing on the wall of the casing,

I my self use galvanized steel pipe, but I do run a sucker rod down the well pipe to a cylinder and have on one well a submersible under the cylinder,

Don't use a pipe smaller than the out let on the pump if the pump has a 1,1/4" threading opening use a 1,1/4" pipe, every pump or cylinder I have seen usually has a warning some where about down sizing the pipe, leaving the pump,

fohrman

Reaction score
New pump is a 3/4 hp Grundfos 10S07-12. 10GPM 1 1/4 outlet

I'm tending towards continuous plastic to avoid joints, but my experience
with plastic, in general, is that is gets brittle as it gets old.
I don't want to have to pull it every 10 years. Not sure what is down the shaft now, but I would guess plastic, since that's what's connected to the pitless and terminated inside.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Don't worry about the plastic getting brittle, it won't. Besides, the pump probably won't last ten years anyway. Most of them don't.

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I'd go 160 psi PE. You don't need a higher rating for that depth or pump.

Black iron is no good, it rusts! Galvanized does too but it takes longer. Both are heavy and you need couplers and you can't pull the pump without a derrick truck etc..

PVC needs couplers and makes it difficult to pull the pump by hand. You don't have any of those problems with PE pipe. And it will not get brittle; PVC does if it is in sunlight (UV). Also, IMO, especailly with your pump, there is no problem using 1". Before the manufacturers came out with 1.25" outlet pumps, all pumps were 1" and all pumps are still 4" xx gpm pumps; the same as they were with 1" outlets.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with gary and speedbump. Forget the steel pipe and 200lb. polly. Go with 1" 160lb,use brass barbed fittings,put a torque arrestor on top of the pump to keep it from smaccking the side of the well,install wire guides every forty feet to keep the wire from being chafed,and double clamp your fittings.

SAM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks