New Pressure Regulator - Still getting pressure problems

Users who are viewing this thread

vst

Reaction score
I installed a Watts N55B Water Pressure regulator (replacing a 6 year old Watts N35B). Anyway, the reason I replaced it was because my water heater's T&P valve kept going off and ultimately the water heater had to be replaced.

Then, I ran some tests by cutting the WH completely off and realized the water pressure in my house was over 80psi (not sure exactly what it is/was, but I knew it was above 80 since my Watts Thermal Expansion relief valve was flowing constantly). So, I purchased a new Watts PRV and installed. The problem is: when I turn on any faucet, I get a burst of water (over 80psi) and then it reduces to something that is not sufficient for the rest of my home. Basically, I cannot get water pressure on more than 1 faucet at a time. This, by the way, is without the water heater being turned on for over 24 hours.

What could be my problem? I'm confused, the water pressure is too high initially, but then it drops down too low.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pressure

TEST the pressure. It appears that the PRV is leaking and allowing the system pressure to increase to whatever the incoming pressure is, but once the initial overpressure is relieved it reverts to the set pressure which is very low, OR, the PRV is stuck and starts out high but cannot open to provide the set pressure.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pressure gauges cost about $10 at any hardware store. The reason your TP valve was tripping was because you have a closed system with a PRV and that requires an expansion tank. Use the gauge to set the PRV pressure then charge the expansion tank to match and I think your troubles will be over.

vst

Reaction score
Well,

After hours of research, I think I just figured out what I did wrong (whoops). I accidentally installed the shut off valve and PRV in the wrong direction (what was I thinking???).

Anyway, I guess it was staring me dead in the face and it just didn't click. I actually thought the arrows were pointed in the right direction (flow), but was not paying attention when I mounted it (too little sleep).

Anyway, this just means I have to create new seals and go buy more teflon tape.

Oh well, thanks for the help everybody. I'll post back once I rework everything tonight.

vst

Reaction score
Reinstalled everything the right way and now everything is just fine.

Regulator is REGULATING!

Thanks!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks