Pressure tank or not

Users who are viewing this thread

cameron

Reaction score
Didn't know if I should also post on the forum also.I am currently running 3/4hp submersible pump from pond to water yard, running 500ft of 1in pipe and two (sears) sprinklers rated at 60 psi min. they two is the most I can run. My question is I just picked up a large 60 gallon or so pressure tank, if I use this tank will I be able to run more sprinklers or am I better off to run pump straight thru with no pressure tank like I am now? I thought with a pressure tank I could get more sprinklers because of keeping higher pressure constantly. If this is so what the best way ti set this up without pump cycling so much. Which is a better way of running system pressure tank or not?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pressure tank and pressure switch just makes it automatic. Open faucet, pump comes on. Close faucet, pump goes off. If you turn the pump on and off manually, you don't need a tank. Tank will not give you any more water or pressure.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can automate your system by using your irrigation controller to operate a relay or contactor to operate the pump when the valves are opened.

You would increase the flow with a larger pipe. The amount depends on the pump that you have.

Using the Goulds line for example, the same 3/4 HP motor could be used to drive a 7GS07, a 10GS07, a 13GS07, or an 18GS07. The first numbers are the nominal rated GPM of the pumps

With the 1" pipe you would get about 12 GPM with the 10GS07, 11 GPM with the 13GS07, and 9 GPM with the 18GS07.

If you increase the pipe size to 1 1/4 you will get about 14 GPM at 60 psi with any of the three pumps.

You get the biggest benefit with the larger pumps because they have less head to spare.

You can test the effect by running your pump with the 500 ft 1" pipe (your present setup), and then with 125 ft of the 1" pipe, both while controlling the pressure at the end of the pipe at 60 psi. The result with 125 ft of 1" pipe will be near what you will get with 500 ft of 1 1/4" pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks