Well Point size? 1 1/4" or 2"

Users who are viewing this thread

Ron in SC

Reaction score
I week ago I had a geotek firm do some soil bearing verification testing. They drilled two 20" holes that are about 4" in diameter and 20' deep. I figured I might as well use one for another well.

I was wondering whether I should use a 2" wellpoint or should I just stay with the 1 1/4" I have been using.

Attachments

• 000_0759.jpg
    000_0759.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 302
  • 000_0762.jpg
    000_0762.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
They drilled two 20" holes that are about 4" in diameter and 20' deep.

What does the 20" mean?

Did these guys say whether they entered a water vane at the 20' depth?

If you want more water, go with the 2" screen. More surface area, more water.

Before buying a screen ask these guys what slot size they would recommend. They may not know as they are Environmental drillers not production Well Drillers. There is a difference.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Then I think it would work. Did you see any of the material that came from around the bottom of the hole?

bob...

Ron in SC

Reaction score
Did you see any of the material that came from around the bottom of the hole?

Yes, that sample was tiny shells. I think I want to be a little above that. At least that's what I did on the other side.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Shell can have a lot of water in it. And hopefully they are large enough to not come through a 12 slot screen or bigger.

bob...

Ron in SC

Reaction score
Shell can have a lot of water in it.
the shells I'm dealing with are tiny and I can not get the well point past that shell layer. On the well point on the other side I get 6 gpm with 3/4 hp Myers, 1 1/4" well point at 19' 6" at 20 psi.

Speedbump

Reaction score
That's not what the pump is capable of, so that's all your well is producing. Not much water for irrigating.

bob...

Ron in SC

Reaction score
I put a 2" PVC screen at a depth of 18'.

The material that came out of that boring was very loose to firm brown, gray and tan sand to depths of 11 to 13 feet then dense orange sand to sand to 17', and finally loose gray fine sand with high shell content to termination of boring depth of 20'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks