Cistern Setup - Please Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I have one. Works just fine.

I post about these only to get the idea out there and help those that need one and keep getting told there is no such thing. And if there was it would not fix biologicals.

This fixes a lot of proposed solutions by providing a no clogging filter and eliminating short term element replacements. Single stage (there is a charcoal or mesh filter inside) filtration. Essentially zero maintenance. Once a year check. Monitor pressure drop long term (or through yearly tests) to determine when filter component needs to be replaced. Estimated life greater than 10 years.

The company makes REALLY BIG ones for things like cities.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I was notified when GE introduced it into the residential market a few months ago. They bought the company that invented it, although AFAIK it was not for the residential market. I might be wrong but IMO it will take a fair length of time for it to become a common choice, if ever. It's the same with their Merlin RO.

I understand the thing is quite pricey, along with operation costs. The maintenance should be pricey also. Let us know how it's doing a year or so from now.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Bacteria Removal** >99.99999%
Virus removal ** >99.999%
Cyst removal ** >99.95%

*Depends upon model, water quality and flow rate.
**Please see certification and testing data for more information

I would read a little more if it were me.

R

Rancher

Gary Slusser said:
I was notified when GE introduced it into the residential market a few months ago.
Gary, what do you think of the setup that "filterdirect" sells on that online auction site E bay?

How do you determine the efficency of the unit?

Rancher

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
You should have provided a link to it.. there are various models but... it depends on what you need an RO for as to what model/features you'd need. IMO 99% of people with an RO don't need one and would be better served with a 2 stage filter with the same faucet etc. used on an RO.

As with all ROs you must meet the pretreatment needs for the membrane or you kill it fairly quickly; a few weeks or months. For drinking/cooking water, you wouldn't want an RO with the DI option.

"Efficiency" of an RO is done with a TDS (total dissolved solids) test comparing raw to treated water TDS content.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I have had mine for about 3 years.

As speedbump suggests, perhaps a bit more research before yet again dismissing the product. Or even believing my posts. I believe I have addressed just about every negative in your last post. Including that the purchase price is high.

Zenon makes it. Maytag had an exclusive. GE bought the company.

It is not a new product. It was not common in the US because Maytag had an exclusive for North America for several years and did not make it generally available in the US. It appeared to me they had no real idea what they had or how to market it. They were also the wrong people to sell water treatment systems. Who goes to a Maytag store for whole house filtration?

Ultrafiltration is not a new untested technology.

The company has been in business quite a while with many systems using the filter membrane technology they developed.

They were easily available in Canada.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The life of the charcoal filter depends on dirt that it collects and how much organic material it takes out of the water. If the dirt collection process makes for short filter runs (most likely if surface water but also some groundwater) it might be less expensive to put a dirt-collecting filter ahead of the charcoal filter. You can decide that when it's time to replace the charcoal filter.

If you are in an area that has radon in the water, then you should be aware that a charcoal filter collects radon. The filter cartridge technically becomes radioactive waste because of the concentration of radon. The radiation is low energy (mostly alpha particles), and radon is mostly a hazard if you breathe it (it is a gas). The cartridge should be disposed of where it will not be a hazard. Don't burn it in your fireplace.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
alternety said:
I have had mine for about 3 years.

As speedbump suggests, perhaps a bit more research before yet again dismissing the product. Or even believing my posts. I believe I have addressed just about every negative in your last post. Including that the purchase price is high.

Zenon makes it. Maytag had an exclusive. GE bought the company.

It is not a new product. It was not common in the US because Maytag had an exclusive for North America for several years and did not make it generally available in the US. It appeared to me they had no real idea what they had or how to market it. They were also the wrong people to sell water treatment systems. Who goes to a Maytag store for whole house filtration?

Ultrafiltration is not a new untested technology.

The company has been in business quite a while with many systems using the filter membrane technology they developed.

They were easily available in Canada.

I think you are talking to me.... I do not recall hearing you had one for 3 yrs. I learn about and eventually/usually dismiss 90% of all new water treatment products for many valid reasons based on what I think my customers' future satisfaction with them will be. I don't sell anyone anything until I'm convinced that it will work and last. It's unrealistic but I think all salespeople should do so and just possibly water treatment sales would then have a less blackened reputation.

I don't disbelieve your posts, I do not recall seeing you say anything about this until now. Someone did on my forum sometime ago; maybe that was you.

I don't see a price, nor do I recall a price in another thread or post. I suggest it may be a few thousands of US dollars. I post and talk to many people each day and can't recall 90% of what they said, sorry, I go back through the thread when needed but I don't go searching all the poster's posts etc..

Yes I know its history and agree that Zenon and then Maytag blew it but... GE may also have problems due to their insistence on distributing it very differently than industry standard. Plus the fact that in my opinion it is going to be a hard sell by guys like me; independent members of the US water treatment industry. Without us selling it, nothing does well. I haven't been able to survive and recently thrive in the business by being wrong while I'm a self-employed one guy 'shop' competing with all the best known names in the business and all the other independent dealers, plumbers, well drillers, big box stores and chain store plumbing/pump supply houses selling this stuff everywhere.

True ultra, micro and nano filtration etc. membrane technologies are not new, or untested in the lab and some industries. They aren't all that old either but, to my knowledge they are not used very widely in the residential market yet. And if John and Mary Consumer doesn't buy it, 'it' usually fades to gone in a few years at most.

So how many bathroom house and how many people live there? What was the price? Do you have Coliform bacteria contaminated water running through it? How much water does it use? What if any pretreatment equipment did yours require if any? What is the maintenance on it and how frequently and what does that cost (in US $ please)?

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I talked to a local company that does water treatment. I explained the merits of the Zenon (Maytag/GE) system. I pointed out a few weeks ago that there is money to be made here.

Today he is a certified dealer.

He has 5 systems presold.

He understands!

Yes

Last edited:

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Just for jollies. And in response to a "let us know how that works out" that I noticed when I happened upon this thread again: In use for 14 years. No problems whatsoever. No replacement parts needed. It just works. A recent water test shows the same results as day one of filter use.

I am probably going to get a replacement soon. I am still using the original filter membrane, and they can no longer be found. So, updated equipment is a reasonable preventive maintenance action.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks