toilet is backed-up, but slowly unclogs

Users who are viewing this thread

Jasmine123

Reaction score
Since buying a (Toto) Drake last month, it has clogged twice, although I hold the toilet handle down on flushing. Now I'm thinking in terms of: (1) getting a power-assisted toilet, (2) buying a good snake to have on-hand, or (3) using more Metamucil. The plumber's "friend" I use doesn't help at all and it seems to stir-up the water in the bowl more than anything else.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Clog

Ivory123 said:
Since buying a (Toto) Drake last month, it has clogged twice, although I hold the toilet handle down on flushing. Now I'm thinking in terms of: (1) getting a power-assisted toilet, (2) buying a good snake to have on-hand, or (3) using more Metamucil. The plumber's "friend" I use doesn't help at all and it seems to stir-up the water in the bowl more than anything else.

You have a clog! it dosen't matter what you buy the drain line needs to be cleaned out.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The drain line is most likely clogged. A different toilet won't help. You need to have the drain snaked. Do not try chemical cleaners, they will not clear the clog, but they will create a potential hazard for whomever you finally hire to clear the clog. It is possible that something is jammed in the toilet's trap and slowing the flush. You can try a small snake on that or remove the toilet and go for the underside to dislodge the obstruction. Use a new wax ring when you reset the toilet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The clog could be as simple as the wax ring slipped during installation, or you used an extra thick one when a normal one would have been fine. Some people think the extra thick one solves problems, but for a properly installed flange, it can actually create some. I agree, it is not the toilet, it is the drain line. Nothing in a toilet will slowly allow stuff to drain out, it either goes or it doesn't, and with Totos, it usually goes (unless the line is clogged).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks