Whirlpool water heater new

Users who are viewing this thread

stx333

Reaction score
Just purchased a Whirlpool low-boy water heater at Lowe`s and after installing the brass 3/4 cold and hot water fittings with pipe dope it leaked? Took it apart and tried teflon tape with the same result. Took the heater back and got another and after the install, still leaked. Both times at the female header. Has anyone else had this problem? Going to take this one back as well and try a different brand. Too bad we do not get paid for time wasted????:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you look at the brass fittings carefully? Some of them are now made in China, and they often don't keep a sharp tool, tearing the threads. Makes it really hard to get a good seal. Try both tape and pipe dope next time.

stx333

Reaction score
With two heaters now I`ve been through 4 brass fittings, possibly its in the heater header from China? When I tightened one of the fittings that leaked and backed it out for a second try metal came out as well. Thank you for the fast reply.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Whirlpool is junk, junk, junk.

Bradford White or Rheem / Rudd

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Do a word search with "whirlpool water heater junk" and see what comes up.

stx333

Reaction score
Appreciate the info, will get one of these after I return the second piece of junk Lowes sold me. Thank you and not at Lowes

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks