Need help with my tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

67cyclone

Reaction score
Hello,

Need some advice on my tub drain. I'm not a plumber by trade, but have made some type of unclog or repair to every other fixture in the house. My problem is my tub will not drain at all. For the last couple of years or so you would have to put some force on the lever attached to the face plate on the overflow tube. No biggee, we would put a wet wash cloth on the lever and the tub would drain quickly. There was no slow drainage prior to yesterday. All my other clogs became slow drains prior to clogging fully. Yesterday no drainage at all. My first thought was the linkage leading to the brass sleeve that stops flow had fell apart and that was the problem. Got home from work and pulled off the faceplate and to my surprise, the entire assembly pulled right out to include the brass stopper. In theory, if that piece is removed, the water should flow freely, correct? I know what you're thinking, clogged with hair. We have a trap over the drain that allows virtually no hair through. I ran a 48 inch snake last night and got nothing. Also tried a plunger and all that does is force the air back into the water. It seems as if I have a mechanical stoppage, but am not sure what it might be. Sorry about the long post, just want to let you know what I have tried. Thanks in advance for any advice.

67cyclone

Reaction score
snake machine

So it sounds as if I don't have a mechanical issue. Would I be well served to rent one of those snake machines from the Home Depot? Also, should I go through the overflow tube at top or the drain at bottom? Thanks.

Damorej

Reaction score
clogged

Just saw Rich M on Ask This Old House do this on show. He said to put snake thru overflow. Straighter path for snake

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
yes, run the snake through the overflow, but also take the strainer off the drain and be sure there isnt some hair there too. I know you said you've got a strainer that doesnt allow hair through, but unless the grid openings are smaller than a human hair, hair is getting through.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks