Leaky fill valve on Toto Drake I just installed

Users who are viewing this thread

WatFallet

Reaction score
I just installed a Toto Drake, and I noticed that water leaks from the fill valve when the tank refills after a flush. The water is leaking from some place(s) underneath blue top part of the fill valve. It's hard to see exactly where it's leaking from because the toilet is backed into a tight spot. If I have to take it out, that is going to be a pain.

The other Drake in my house doesn't do this, so I'm assuming it's a problem. Is there something I should tighten or does the whole fill valve need to be replaced?

BTW, my fill valve looks like the one in the first picture in this post:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Sometimes with new installations debris will get trapped under the "Diaphram Cap" you can take apart and clean it.
If there is no debris visible you may have a damaged "Diaphram cap" and it needs to be replaced.
The part number is THU123 and it should be under warranty.
You can see how to take it apart on this drawing under "Servicing Instructions"
www.terrylove.com/korky

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The hose that goes to the overflow tube might not be seated, or split. I didn't look at the pic, but on most, you can pop the blue cover off to check or fix.

WatFallet

Reaction score
Just my luck...

Of the two Drakes I installed, the one that I put in a tight space has the problem; the other one is fine.

I won't be able to do any of the checks you guys suggested without detaching the tank from the bowl. The counter top of the vanity runs over the top of my toilet tank, and I only have 1.25" clearance with the tank cover off.

:(

Thanks for your suggestions anyway. I'm :mad: at Toto right now though. New stuff should work right out of the box.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There may be nothing wrong with the valve, maybe some dirt.
It doesn't matter what valve you have, when you turn water off, and then back on, it moves dirt in the pipes.

If you used Teflon tape for any reason, that could cause a problem too.
No Teflon Tape should be used on any supply.

99% of the time, it's something in the water that caused the problem.
When we do our installs, if that happens, it takes about 30 seconds to pull the cap, run some water and reassemble.

Maybe a better toilet for a banjo top would be something not so tall, Some of the one-piece are good for that.
The Ultramax and the Ultimate are 27.25" to the top of the lid, remove the lid and you can another 2" or so for access.

Last edited:

WatFallet

Reaction score
Response from Toto

It doesn't drip continuously (well, it did once, but hasn't since). It just drips during tank refill. Apparently if it drips continuously then there's a problem.

I called Toto Customer Service about it. They said dripping from the top of the fill valve is normal; that it happens when water pressure is high.

This could explain why I don't see the drip in the other Drake I installed, since that one is on the second floor on the opposite end of the house.

Thanks for your response Terry. BTW, I've been using Teflon tape on my outdoor sprinkler system heads. Is that not a good idea?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, when all valves are off, the pressure is essentially the same throughout the system. The difference in one flight is minor.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Teflon on outdoor sprinkers?

I'm guessing that you have NTP pipe theads, a tapered thread that is.
These need some sort of thread sealant. Either pipe dope or tape.
If you use tape, make sure there isn't any that can can unthread and float up through the other parts.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks